Considering 5" or 6" for next year

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So guys for next year I'm considering a 5" or 6" dredge. Our laws state the nozzle should be no more then 5" and under 15hp if I remember right, so I'm tending towards a 6". But I have a few questions in regards to that.

The place I'm dredging under normal water conditions is no more then 4' deep to bedrock. It is also around 8' wide in most places with most places being about 12" deep. I know I can build rock dams to raise the water level so that not to much of a issue right now but could be with a larger dredge. Based on the amount of larger cobbles I have to move by hand I can move about 3'x8'x4' forward with my nozzle per day.

1. Based on depth of creek, can a 6" be ran ok with a single engine/pump? Looking at keene and proline they are all built with dual engines. My hose will be no longer then 15' and I might build a couple jet instead of using a jet log. My engine will be 15hp to meet law requirements.

2. I need a idea of how much more material i'll be able to move with a 5" and a 6" based on what I can move per day with my 4". I know there is a lot of variables involved with what I'm asking. To put this in perspective, I'm finding a average of 1 gram per foot that I move forward, some areas are better and worse but it all averages out.

3. Is depth of creek going to be too much of a issue with a 6" or will rock dams still be ok to raise water level.

EDIT: Btw if I go 6" route I would put a 5" ring at the nozzle to meet the requirements.

If I think of any more I'll add to this list.
Thanks!!!

Last edited:
dual engines will be much easier to move than 1 engine!

Could you explain in more detail?

I've been considering just buying another engine/pump and use the Subaru 6hp and HP350 to keep the cost down but may need to sell off my 4" to help fund the new one...

ok that explains it. i thought by your post you were wanting to use a single 15 hp engine. just thinking of the single engine made my back ache!!:)

I am considering a single 15hp engine, actually I'm considering several different options. Will a single 15hp engine work or am I shooting myself in the foot if I go that way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back