Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
I purchased the copper in the photos from a Loyalist settler descendant. It is quite worn but was not found in the ground. There have been some Connecticut copper finds discussed on this site recently, and that brought this copper in my collection to mind. As often the case, I was impressed with the breadth and depth of knowledge shown. I would appreciate any observations about this coin.

Attachments

• Connecticut copper rev (1).jpg
    Connecticut copper rev (1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
  • Connecticut copper rev (2).jpg
    Connecticut copper rev (2).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
Hi Almy

Could this be a Connecticut Auctori?

Connecticut coin.jpg

Upvote 1
Hi Almy

Could this be a Connecticut Auctori?

View attachment 2134233
All Conn. coppers say Auctori, there are a ton of different sub-variations. If no one chimes in I'll check my book when I get home in a few hours.

Upvote 1
It's a 1787 17-g.3 which is currently listed as a rarity 3, which translates out to 201 to 500 estimated examples.

Upvote 2
L.cutler: thank you for looking up the information! I'll add it to my description of the coin. I am preparing a summary of information about each of the types of early coppers I have found around Loyalist (1783) and later homesteads. These include a New Jersey copper and an Irish Hibernia Mine Company halfpenny. The found coins would have been used by the same type of people I bought the Vermont copper from and fit together well in a display.

Upvote 0
And thank you Robot and Ladylooking for your replies and the photo the detail in a new condition coin. What a resource we have in this site!

Upvote 0
No problem, I collect these by die variety so I have all the references and lots of practice. With over 350 varieties sometimes they are a bit tricky to get, but yours wasn't too hard.

Upvote 0
No problem, I collect these by die variety so I have all the references and lots of practice. With over 350 varieties sometimes they are a bit tricky to get, but yours wasn't too hard.

I tried looking through my book and started getting a headache after the 4th page. Props to you 8-)

Upvote 1
Yipes, I had no idea about the number of varieties! It's so good to have an expert available and willing. This will probably be my only Connecticut copper ever. It's a real treasure for me and now I know quite a bit more about it than I would have otherwise. Thank you.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back