Congaree Creek

jreamy4

Oct 6, 2005
South Carolina
Hi

I live in Columbia SC. There wasn't much fighting since the city was being defended by women, children and old men. They surrendered and THEN Sherman burnt it down >:(, but thats another story!

There was supposed to be a large Union encampment right outside the city on the Congaree creek, but I am having trouble getting the exact location. I would think a campsite that large would be easy to find, but I'm having major problems. Any ideas for some good possible sources to get that information?

HH,
Jim

Upvote 0
you might also want to try the atlas to accompany the official records on cd-rom or buy the book. both the o r & atlas have been a big help to me. good luck.

If you cannot find anything in the OR, then ck out a topo map and find a good water source. That is if its close to the area they were supposedly at. I would start looking in that area. Good luck

Sorry I didn't read that close enough! You already knew they were at the creek. So, most camps I have found and hunted were on the south side of the creeks and hills. If you can figure out where the old road came thru near the creek you might find it. Good luck!

Hey Jim I guess this will take a bit of researching, but thats not to say it can't be done. Anything I can do to help, email me. Take care, HH Art....

ANOTHER THING TO KEEP IN MIND IS THAT THEY THREW THERE TRASH INTO THE WATER DOWN STREAM OF THE ENCAMPMENT....I WOULD LOOK FOR OLD GLASS, PIPE STEMS AND OLD HORSE TACK.....SEARCH THE CREEK BANKS WHERE THEY HAVE BEEN WASHED OUT AND LOOK FOR ANYTHING UNUSUAL.....ESPECIALLY GLASS.
GOOD LUCK
LONE GUNMAN

LONE GUNMAN said:
ANOTHER THING TO KEEP IN MIND IS THAT THEY THREW THERE TRASH INTO THE WATER DOWN STREAM OF THE ENCAMPMENT....I WOULD LOOK FOR OLD GLASS, PIPE STEMS AND OLD HORSE TACK.....SEARCH THE CREEK BANKS WHERE THEY HAVE BEEN WASHED OUT AND LOOK FOR ANYTHING UNUSUAL.....ESPECIALLY GLASS.
GOOD LUCK
LONE GUNMAN

Can one use a metal detector and dig along and around the congaree creek? I would like to but unsure if I can.
Thanks

I know this is an old post. I'd imagine that Sherman's troops came up the state road to get to Columbia. George Washington traveled this same road from Granby to Charleston in the 1790's on his tour of the United States. The road runs 9 miles from Cayce to Sandy Run.

If you go out Old state road in Cayce, the road turns to dirt after the boat landing and water treatment plant. when the paved road runs straight before passing the boat landing you are in downtown Granby SC.

Granby Predates Columbia and was abandoned due to it's low elevation, tending to flood due to it's close proximity to the Congaree river. The only surviving building in Granby was moved to Lexington and is at the Lexington County Museum. Keep going Down the dirt road until you reach a wooden bridge over Congaree creek. This is now the general vicinity of where the legend says they camped. Near the mouth of Congaree creek is the remains of the circa 1700's Fort Granby on the north side of the creek. I'd imagine they are super anal about not letting anyone dig near there as it is a sensitive historical spot. I believe most of the land about is (or was) owned by South Carolina Electric and Gas Co. and various hunting clubs. They were considering putting in a hydro-electric plant downstream years ago but I believe the project was abandoned so S.C.E.&G. may have sold it off by now.

As a side note, There is a Legend of Confederate Treasure near there:
On the Congaree River, nearly two miles north of Sandy Run, Confederate supply boats were said to have been ambushed on December
12, 1864. One boat with $125,000 in gold coins and ingots was overturned and lost its contents in the water. (There is no evidence of this in the "Official Records.")

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back