Comparison of 1916 and 1905 Brit Penny-why the change?

mjc_lakedweller

Nov 14, 2011
Kzoo County, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro,
Garrett ACE350,
Fisher CZ-20,
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Worldtalker posted a find on Apr 2 his awesome find of a 1916 Brit Penny. Thanks and WTG Worldtalker!!
Yesterday I posted a find of a 1905 Brit Penny, however, I am wondering why the profile of King Edward the VII was reversed sometime between 1905 and 1916? Does anyone have the answer to this? Thanks Worldtalker for posting pics-I never would have come up with this question had you not found and posted your pics.

1 penny back after.jpg003.JPGTo me it looks like the same die, only reversed. This has got me curious as to why the change???

Attachments

• 1 penny front after.jpg
    1 penny front after.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 184
Upvote 0
The direction the King's head faces has been reversed each time there is a change of Monarch . the 1905 coin is Edward 7th and the 1916 coin is of George the 5th. Hence the change. Hutch.

The direction the King's head faces has been reversed each time there is a change of Monarch . the 1905 coin is Edward 7th and the 1916 coin is of George the 5th. Hence the change. Hutch.

Thanks Oldsoapy, new there had to be a good reason. The two King heads look very similar

good explaination.....I'll go with that

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back