Columbus OH Park Finds

screamin4change

Jul 30, 2005
Glad I can stop being a "tourist" and start participating. I have taken my Tracker IV to several parks in town, set it to "all metal", and went coil to the soil. These are a few cool things I found. The gun may be an old toy. I found it in a woods at the top of a hill. The broken white thing is the remains of a porcelain lined mason jar lid. Does anybody have an idea on how old this could be? The spike I found in a park where it would not make sense that there was ever a rail system. I am sometimes frustrated in parks because I don't know if the things I am finding are original or have been trucked in with loads of topsoil to even a grade. Anybody have any ideas on this?

-Nick

Attachments

• gun lid spike.JPG
    gun lid spike.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 433
Upvote 0
screamin, i too was frustrated on finding unidentifiable objects at various parks in my area. then i joined a local metal detecting club and found it was more enjoyable if i did a little research on the area prior to my hunt. sometimes i found that the area was once a dump for the local farmers, another was the city dump (won't go back their again), and others have quite a bit of history that amazed me to the point i wanted to learn more. the internet, public library or local history museum can have a wealth of information on an area that will put finds into prospective. good look and don't give up.

S,

porcelain lids were used from the late 1800"s could fit any time frame after that.

Get some navy jelly, by Loctite Corp, (I just pick up two bottles form Ace for my own use), on the "Gun" to see what you have.

S

Cool stuff , look for markings and do a little research. I am close to col maybe we could get together and hunt some time. Wingman is also close by.

I too have a tracker 4! Works ok for finding shallow relics doesnt it? What does the jar lid say on it?

Jake,

I've been pretty happy with the Tracker 4. For an inexpensive machine it seems to do well find coins. Relics are often a surprise due to the somewhat primitive discrimination but I think that makes it fun. The only frustrating thing is no pinpoint.

Ace,

I think it would be great to go out in Columbus. I have time off from work around Labor Day so let me know what you want to do.

-Nick

COOL GUN.

Jeff

Neat Gun, WTG!!!
Is that real, or a toy,,, Must have been made long ago either way...
I can't recall ever seeing a toy gun made from iron/steal?
Almost looks like the big brother to this one I found awhile back...
index.php

Good luck & Happy hunting~

It seems too heavy to be a toy. I'm having a heck of a time cleaning it though. I got Naval Jelly and it didn't make a dent. Have any suggestions?

I wouldn't suggest using any electric or flame source of cleaning.
Just in case. BANG!! HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back