Colonial Site Dug Iron Relic....What Is it?

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
Me and my brother, novatreasure, have been digging a Colonial site that has produced some pretty amazing finds to say the least. Banner worthy suggested by many Tnet folks but, has not yet made it? Anyway, I have an item amongst others I am stumped on from this site. It looks to be hand forged iron and pretty sturdy. It has become my very first fully completed electrolysis attempt and I'm happy with it so far. It is really interesting and satisfying bringing back that original character from those old, dug, rusty iron relics. After electrolysis was complete, I sealed with a satin spray urethane. LENGTH OF THE ITEM IS 7". LENGTH ACROSS THE T HANDLE IS 4 3/4". Picture of buttons are just to show period and reference of site being dug.

20141129_172728.jpg20141201_001719.jpg20141201_225801.jpg20141201_225834.jpg20141201_225950.jpg20141201_230015.jpg20141201_230047.jpg

Attachments

• 20141201_225838.jpg
    20141201_225838.jpg
    435.1 KB · Views: 101
Well with just over 100 hits on this thread and not one guess, it's not looking good. :laughing7:

Upvote 0
Ok. Can't go without at least a guess or two.

Tool to shape dipped candle bases to a specific size to fit in candleholders?

Cork sizer?

Upvote 0
In the before pics the other items look like a hammer head and some tongs so maybe it has something to do with blacksmith shop possibly to grab rods out of coals?Was there one at the site?

Upvote 0
I look at the shape of this item, and see 2 separate possibities for use. First is a hand held tool to lift or pull something, as mentioned by Charlie and Back of the Boat. Second is a type of hanger where the t handle would sit between 2 rails, boards, rafters, spikes, etc. and used to hang items from the loop.

Upvote 0
I agree with Charlie, that one piece on the paper towel appears to be some sort of dipping tool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Or maybe an extracting tool perhaps taking something out of a hot liquid or fire? .. Just guesses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Took some time with this. While this wrought iron forged relic may turn out to be a blacksmith's shop tool of some sort... here's some other ideas to stoke the fire of curiosity. One is part of a colonial gate/latch assembly for either a barn door or just a big arse door of any sort during that time. Second idea is it being part of an iron betty lamp assembly. Third area is a wall mounted candle holder or lamp holder. The fact that it has the T shape handle makes everyone run to "well it has this ergonmoic hand held type grip so it must be something you put in your hand right?"such as for example dipping as was mentioned before or possibly lifting a pot of some sort. I think its possible but maybe the T shape is not necessarily for the hand but rather to be load bearing within a different medium like a wall or door or something.

When in doubt seek out people who would know, right? Being from Virginia Beach, we have a rich colonial history. I make the trek to Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown at least a couple times a year. Anyway, there is as fully functioning real deal blacksmith there called The Anderson Blacksmith Shop and Public Armourer. I have sent these pics to them for help with ID'ing. I think they may be helpful in knowing what this item really is assuming it does not get sniped here beforehand.

Waiting to see what they have to say.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back