Colonial Iron

JoshW

Oct 1, 2018
Valley Forge, PA
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these iron pieces in a field on the Brandywine battlefield. In the same field, I found a jews harp, lead pencil, several musket balls and buttons as well, so I suspect it was a campsite. The British camped on the battlefield for several days after the battle. Any idea what these are? The one with the large hole has a curly cue shape at the end. Thanks in advance for your responses. IMG_0323.jpgIMG_0322.jpgIMG_0324.jpg

Josh

The curved piece with the square hole looks like a coffee mill crank.

antique-cast-iron-top-coffee-grinder-419-600x600.jpg

Upvote 0
The curly cue piece may be part of a 'tommy stick' - colonial era candle holder.

09a463e6a8a0b985d8c0a950ed5ed87d.jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies! The coffee mill crank sure looks close and the tommy stick and singletree hooks are possibilities. Seeing the picture of the Tommy stick, definitely solves a mystery for another piece I dug in the same area. That piece looks just like the one of the left.

Upvote 0
Great id's kills me how people can do that lol

Upvote 0
The curved piece is a heel. It was bolted down a chain was placed on the heel then it was hammered down.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys! The heel bolt certainly looks like a match. Any ideas one the rectangular piece? I was thinking some kind of weight or maybe a striker for flint. I know most strikers aren't shaped like that though.

Josh

Upvote 0
The curled item with a hole might be a single rams horn nut. The text that was with photo is here.

Wrought iron, unlike modern steels, has a grain, much like wood. This large forged nut shows the grain. In forging wrought iron, operations would have to be done in consideration of this. Holes punched near the end of a bar would be liable to break out. If the bar is spread first, forming a cusp, a hole punched on the cusp would be less likely to exceed its boundaries. Many decorative elements in traditional ironwork also serve a functional purpose.nut.jpg

The link to the site is here. Blacksmith's Blog Posts

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back