Colonial iron whats it?

bronco

Mar 2, 2008
colonial tool1.jpgcolonial2.jpg

Found these on one site. Just some old iron but I thought maybe the one curved (tool?) might be identifyable.

These have been soaked in cider, baked and sprayed. First attempts at preservation. Axe heads next.

Any Idea on the curved piece?
It has knerls on the end and flat curved tip.

harrow tooth....plow implement

Upvote 0

Thanks Kuger I'll bet that's right. Seems most of the stuff from that site is ag related. The other piece looks like a hitch of some sort. Has 90 degree opposing holes.
ANd thanks kaleb and gator for the cleaning tips from the ase head thread

Upvote 0
I looked up harrow teeth. The spatula ended thing seems light for that?

The c shaped piece seems heavy enough.

Upvote 0

I looked up harrow teeth. The spatula ended thing seems light for that?

The c shaped piece seems heavy enough.

yours is just flattened,I have found many just like it
thumbsup.gif

The iron item shown in the first photo on the left, as well as next to the coin in the next photo (wheat penny apparently), is certainly not a harrow tooth, flattened or not. In fact, that is only half of what was originally a "U" shaped piece, threaded on both ends to accept a nut. Our resident hardware experts here, possibly one as Creskol, may better describe both the function and likely the name of such a piece. The "C" shaped item is also broken, and only a portion of what was most likely a circular link.

The time period appears more in line with early 19th Century, rather than Colonial American.

CC Hunter

Upvote 0
.....agreed,I am human I guess!!

Upvote 0
Thanks Kuger and everyone, and TAz esspecially for the picture. Amazing respose. I'm going to go back through my old iron bucket and see if I can find some more clues.
But this ones SOLVED with regards to that piece. Wonder when threads first came out? I'll look that up my self

Peace

Upvote 0
You are quite welcome bronco.

:)

The particular iron piece first in discussion here, is commonly known as an axle clip, or cleave clip, and otherwise, depending on size and usage. These threaded "U" bolt type pieces were often used as fastening components in wagon manufacturing. Through my recent conversation with a knowledgeable expert, being quite experienced in 19th Century wagon restoration, the use of these was further confirmed. Here in my own shop, I have a period freight wagon frame dating to the mid-1800's. When opportunity allows, I will photograph the similar clips in use on this wagon here. Quite often through extended use, the top portions of these arched clips will become worn down, from vibration and stress wear. The fact that your example is broken at the thin portion of the top, shows evidence of this wear and stress.

CC Hunter

Upvote 0
You are quite welcome bronco.

:)

The particular iron piece first in discussion here, is commonly known as an axle clip, or cleave clip, and otherwise, depending on size and usage. These threaded "U" bolt type pieces were often used as fastening components in wagon manufacturing. Through my recent conversation with a knowledgeable expert, being quite experienced in 19th Century wagon restoration, the use of these was further confirmed. Here in my own shop, I have a period freight wagon frame dating to the mid-1800's. When opportunity allows, I will photograph the similar clips in use on this wagon here. Quite often through extended use, the top portions of these arched clips will become worn down, from vibration and stress wear. The fact that your example is broken at the thin portion of the top, shows evidence of this wear and stress.

CC Hunter

Thanks As always cc

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back