232.6 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_7422.PNG
    IMG_7422.PNG
    272.5 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_7411.jpg
    IMG_7411.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Nice button! Not sure if it is colonial or not as I'm not an expert. It appears to have the word extra below William. I've found quite a few flatties over the years, but I'm pretty sure that I don't have any with that back mark. Congrats on a cool find!

Upvote 0
Regardless of who the "William" in the backmark was, your find is a brass 1-piece flatbutton with an indented-lettering backmark. Therefore, it dates from about 1810 to the late-1830s/early-1840s, when 1-piece flatbuttons fell out of favor with the public due to the advent of machinery which produced inexpensively priced ornate 2-piece buttons with fancy designs on them, or a cloth covering.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated. I've only been at it for about a year, just upgraded to the AT Pro about a month ago. Found lots of coins and some unidentifiable things. Thats my first really old find.I also found what appears to be an old buckle.. I'm having a great time! Thanks again..

Upvote 0
Found something interesting. You noticed the word extra below William, that gave me something else to research. I found another button on treasureNet by a co. named "William Wallace Extra Rich" 1790 to 1840.. His button was different than mine, maybe not as old?? Very interesting, good eye!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back