metaldetectingtaylor

Mar 21, 2011
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if this is a button or not but its just smaller than an American dime. Looks like a bird with a crown on it on the front. The back/inside is open and hollow. I also read "No. 2" and I see a "J" a "D" and maybe an "E". Any ideas? Found this in a yard where finds have ranged from 18th to 19th centuries. Thank you.

P6291951.jpgP6291953.jpgP6291954.jpgP6291956.jpg

I SEE J NO.2 BUT CANT MAKE OUT THE REST, INTERESTING FIND.COOLLL.

Upvote 0
Cool button! And your pics are awesome. Maybe too good. I can't see much additional with the bright light washing out some of the detail. And I'm having trouble "getting the whole picture" of the image on the button. Is it a thistle?

Any additional letters you can see?

Can you take one more pic straight down on the piece in natural light with a non-reflective, medium dark background? (I don't ask for much, do I.... :tongue3: )

My thought is early 19th C. Maybe a British Yeomanry button? I saw a couple made in the same style but nothing with 'No. 2' on it.

This is an example of 1810 East Lothian Yeomanry Cavalry uniform buttons:

110303.jpg

I also considered mid-19th C militia. But none the militia buttons I saw from your state have a floral pattern of any kind.

I'm thinking yours is a rare find but need more detail and/or info to try to confirm.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
OK... So it's an eagle? With something over it's head?

Are the letters at the top 'I N D I E S'? Perhaps you could do a rubbing of the letters with tissue paper and pencil.

I still think early to mid 19th C. Could be a cadet button.

Can we get more info on where it was found?

Upvote 0
It was found at a colonial homestead that I don't know much of the history about unfortunately. I'm also not sure of where the "J" fits in next to "no. 2"

Upvote 0
I was hoping for the county or city name of the place this was found. It may provide a clue about local militia or a military academy in the area.

The letters J and I were often interchangable up until the early 19th C. This is supposedly why Washington DC (laid out in 1791) has no 'J' street. Although, my experience has been seeing I used as J and not the other way around...

Can you confirm that the image is an eagle and not a flower?

If this button has a story to tell it will be in the letters. Any additional info or pics might help. I worked your pics a bit to try to see more.

Attachments

• ballbutton_inverse.jpg
    ballbutton_inverse.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 61
Upvote 0
Pic 2

Attachments

• ballbutton_inverse2.jpg
    ballbutton_inverse2.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 61
  • ballbutton_inverse.jpg
    ballbutton_inverse.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Attachments

• phoenixballbutton.jpg
    phoenixballbutton.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 62
Upvote 0
Phoenix Buttons: Far West Trade Goods

One artifact, which is occasionally recovered from historic period sites of this region, is the brass Phoenix Button. These buttons were produced for the uniforms of the army of King Christophe of Haiti. Each button carries the French motto "Je Renais de Med Cendres" (I am reborn from my ashes) encircling a Phoenix with spread wings over a nest of fire and a regiment number. The buttons were manufactured by a London company called Bushey. In 1820, King Christophe died and his government was overthrown. The military Phoenix Button was no longer needed.

Of course this does not explain a find in Massachusetts... Except that the guy who imported them was from Cambridge...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back