Colonial brass whatzit... musket plate or decoration??

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this curious piece of brass/copper alloy. Has detailed engravings with a floral motif. 4 matching mini slits, 2 in top and 2 on bottom. Any ideas 20180325_145809.jpg20180325_150319.jpg20180325_150312.jpg

Pretty cool. Reminds me of the 1780’s sort of buttons. Neck stock buckle? Just guessing with little to base it on.

Upvote 0
I'm just guessing, but the floral motif looks Victorian to me - 1880's - 1900's. The size and shape of the object are consistent with a hair barrette.

Upvote 0
I concur with late colonial period. That's due to the type of manufacture. I do not think it's part to a musket, however it's really neat. I haven't seen anything quite like it before.

Upvote 0
Reminds me of something from a music stand, the part that holds the sheet music.

Upvote 0
I'm just guessing, but the floral motif looks Victorian to me - 1880's - 1900's. The size and shape of the object are consistent with a hair barrette.

The casting is quite heavy and hand etched, unlike the victorian sash buckles and brooches I've dug with floral motif. It's heavy cast bronze, so I'm thinking late Colonial

Upvote 0
I concur with late colonial period. That's due to the type of manufacture. I do not think it's part to a musket, however it's really neat. I haven't seen anything quite like it before.

Thanks Smokey, this one just feels like something special... maybe one day I'll find a match

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back