Colgate perfume bottle.

Itownguy

Jul 14, 2008
I found this bottle today while walking along the Ohio River bank in southern Ohio.

I saw there was one on EBay in the past that they were asking $125.00 for. It didn't sell but does anyone know why they were asking that much for it?

Does anyone know about the bottle.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...=025&category=35985&ssPageName=mem_guide:2&rd

Attachments

• Colgate perfume..jpg
    Colgate perfume..jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 717
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't know anything about the bottle, but just going off of the other collectible "glassware" that they have listed for the exorbitant rediculous prices, I would assume they have no idea about bottles. My guess is its just an early Colgate bottle, pre-toothpaste company edition, so they think its worth a mint. Don't get me wrong, it's a neat bottle, but I am just guessing here that its probably not that valuable. If you have some good pictures of the seam and other features of the bottle, I'm sure the guys here could probably date it for you, and give it an approximate value judging on that.

If you google Colgate Perfumers, you can find some other bottles like yours as well, and there IS another one on ebay for $30.

Other than that, that may be a good area to go back and look for other old bottles. You might actually find a rare one if you are lucky!!

Good luck and happy hunting!

Thanks jrsherman for the info. After I read you note I went to Google and found a little info concerning the bottle.

You can read from the URL below but it says the bottle might go back to 1860"s. It doesn't look that old.

It's hard to tell from the picture but the mold mark goes to where I have the red mark .

http://www.perfumeprojects.com/museum/bottles/Old_Colgate_Bottle.php

Thanks, itownguy.

Attachments

• Colgate ..jpg
    Colgate ..jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 478
Awesome! Glad you found that page, it had a nice little bit of history behind it!

If you set your bottle in a window, or stick it under a UV lamp for awhile, it should turn amethyst colored like that one on that site too. Thats one of the more vibrant amethyst colored bottles i've seen so far, really looks nice!

Also, the mold mark on your bottle is kind of consistent with that period of bottles. My first bottle digging experience was a 1880's era bottle dump, and most of the medecine type bottles looked like that. :thumbsup:

I think 'jrsherman' has summed up the situation correctly. Most late 1800s perfume/cologne bottles do not command high prices. Certainly not the utilitarian shapes such as this one. The fact that it's embossed and attributable to an American manufacturer is a plus. The fact that it is not a "fancy" shape and is colorless/aqua is a negative.

perfumes3.jpg

These are three perfumes. The center "B" bottle is open-pontiled, American, from the 1850s, a figural demijohn in wicker. This is the only one of the three that has substantial value, but that would be less, probably, than say $50.00.

Notice the bulb in the neck of bottles "A" and "C". This is a common characteristic of perfumes and particularly of colognes and toilet waters.

Most serious bottle collectors avoid "purpled" bottles, unless they are looking for a curio for a window. The blue-purple bottle on the searched web-site looks like it has been irradiated with gamma rays (the process used to sterilize food).

Thanks for the extra info Harry!! I kind of thought the same thing, that that one on the site had probably been Black Lighted, but I wasnt sure. I did NOT know though, that a mang. bottle being purple took the value down, so I appreciate that info before I went and made a black box to do the same to a few of mine :stop:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: to a very knowledgable and helpful member!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back