fishguy

Jun 20, 2013
Little River, SC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cold cream jar wood bury's

Out doing a little metal detecting here in Jeannette, and after digging up about 200 mason jar lids (I live next to a glass factory) I came upon this little gem. I haven't opened it yet but the lid has a picture of a 30's/40's gentleman, handle bar mustache and all. It says woodbury's cold cream around him. So yes I know what it is but wanted to know when it is or who made it. theres a marking on the bottom that looks like a large slanted in H with another smaller slanted in H in the bottom of the other H. It is milk glass and the ones I am seeing on etsy and ebay all say woodbury on the bottom of the jars. Sorry about the poor photos my camera died and I am using my phone. 2013-07-09 19.27.08.jpg2013-07-09 19.27.40.jpg2013-07-09 19.28.14.jpg2013-07-09 19.28.34.jpg2013-07-09 19.28.44.jpg2013-07-09 19.28.58.jpg2013-07-09 19.29.28.jpg

myrna-life-08-04-1941-037-M3.jpg

Hey fish guy,

I can't see the mark, but it sounds like Hazel Atlas Glass who had a plant at Washington, PA. Is this the mark?
hazel-atlas.jpg
"H over an A (shown)…….Hazel-Atlas Glass Company, Wheeling, West Virginia; started at Washington, PA; later plants included Clarksburg, WV; Zanesville, OH; Ada, OK; Montgomery, AL; Oakland, CA; Pomona, CA and other locations. (1902-1964). For more information on this mark, please go to my Hazel-Atlas page." GLASS MANUFACTURERS' MARKS ON BOTTLES & OTHER GLASSWARE~~ PAGE TWO

Upvote 0
Nailed it, it is the HA marking cool anyone know when screw on caps started lol

Upvote 0
after reading about hazel-atlas glass now I know why I find so many mason jar lids, they made the milk glass inserts I keep finding. I can dig anywhere around me without a detector and find one.

Upvote 0
Nailed it, it is the HA marking cool anyone know when screw on caps started lol

Hey fishguy,

Remember John Landis Mason and his famous Patent of Nov. 30th, 1858? Most bottle guys credit him with the screw top. Your jar, I believe dates to the early Thirties. Remember the beautiful, but, oh so troubled, Lupe Velez?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Thanks that does look like this jar, sure the band didn't fare as well as the lid did, the cap has me confused a little as it has a man on it. I'll try to do a rubbing of it so you can see the details. Its actually kind of intresting pulling out the history of this thing. I looked at alot of the old ads and found a little nugget of history from the woodbury co., they where the first ones to have a nude woman in their advertisement in 1938 (wikipedia) kinda strange for that time period I would assume. I am going to marked this solved but check back for rubbing tommorow, please.

Upvote 0
How old Woodbury's milk glass jar?

Hey fish guy,

I can't see the mark, but it sounds like Hazel Atlas Glass who had a plant at Washington, PA. Is this the mark?
hazel-atlas.jpg
"H over an A (shown)…….Hazel-Atlas Glass Company, Wheeling, West Virginia; started at Washington, PA; later plants included Clarksburg, WV; Zanesville, OH; Ada, OK; Montgomery, AL; Oakland, CA; Pomona, CA and other locations. (1902-1964). For more information on this mark, please go to my Hazel-Atlas page." GLASS MANUFACTURERS' MARKS ON BOTTLES & OTHER GLASSWARE~~ PAGE TWO

Hello I'm new ...I found the Woodbury's top, while out metal detecting this evening at my church. just wondering how old is the Woodbury's top and milk glass jar? Thanks! PS may upload a Picture.

Upvote 0
woodbury.jpg

Found this Metal detecting near the church i attend in Etowah, TN. Any Idea as to the year? Thanks.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back