coins or tokens ??

mr etrackr

Nov 23, 2008
Jacksonville Fl
Detector(s) used
minelab CTX-3030 , explorer SE & excall 1000, excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI all and Happy Thanksgiving!! these are a couple of items i found and am not able to find much info on. i believe the queen vic half cent is a token. i found the same coin in a book but it was silver/nickel the one i have here appears to be copper. the highly deteriorated one appears to have george washington on it. any ideas on any of them????

thanks

mikeB

Attachments

• unidentified coins 003.jpg
    unidentified coins 003.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 320
  • unidentified coins 008.jpg
    unidentified coins 008.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 310
    138.2 KB · Views: 314
  • unidentified coins 006.jpg
    unidentified coins 006.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 320
  • unidentified coins 005.jpg
    unidentified coins 005.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 324
  • unidentified coins 004.jpg
    unidentified coins 004.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 317
    138.2 KB · Views: 323
  • unidentified coins 001.jpg
    unidentified coins 001.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 320
You are doing the same thing that i did when i started,Please resize your pics to 640x480 or smaller for better identification.
Nova Treasure

Upvote 0
I believe that the coin with an eagle & snake may be a c. 1910-17 Mexican Revolution period 5 centavos copper. Here's an example (left) from 1916, along with yours (right). There are quite a few varieties, but this should be close enough for comparison.
92ea_1.JPGunidentified coins 008.jpg

Upvote 0
pbk is a killer on iding stuff.

cool "mexican revoltion" coin -- and english company money / token

Upvote 0
Cru, you're right.

The half cent is copper of 22.5mm and weighs 4.66 gms. Queen Victoria is on the obverse. The reverse shows a myrtle wreath with half cent within and East India Company against the plain edged rim. In all 18,737,498 of this coin were struck.
Source: http://www.winsociety.org/newsletter/news_archive/rod2.html

Upvote 0
The third object is a double bust Washington presidential token. Both examples I found on Ebay were made of brass and had the same inscription on both sides. "1st President U.S.A. 1789-1797". Unfortunately, I can't transfer the pictures over(darn Auctiva!). Coincidently, both have a hole in the top right where the large broken area occurs on your specimen, so I'd say it's more of a medallion than a token. One side appears to have a rim, while the reverse is rimless, almost convex. No information from either auction about it's source or year it was "minted". Here's a link to the one with the best pictures.
http://cgi.ebay.com/GEORGE-WASHINGT...oryZ3454QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back