colchester march 1st. 396.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 295
  • colchester march 1st. 397.jpg
    colchester march 1st. 397.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 297
  • colchester march 1st. 398.jpg
    colchester march 1st. 398.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 286
It's not the flaking that will tell you, it will be the place where the shank was that will tell you. Once you clean it, you should be able to tell.

Flaking like this can be caused by a lot of things. Change in its "environment" is my guess.

Daryl

Upvote 0
That's just the crud that has encrusted onto it over the years. We usually dug copper and brass with that in old hardwoods. Lot's of times if I dig a coin or button with that I just wait until it dries and then flick it off with my finger nail and it's clean. If there is no sign of a shank on the back I think it is just a well worn copper. I think it's a coin hold it at different angles in the light and see if you can see the outline of a head or something like that. We dig a lot of early coppers and large cents that are really worn and there is no way to tell exactly what they were.

Upvote 0
Hey G, Yep, that crud should pop right off. Be sure to post a pic of it after it's soaked in some peroxide. Nice find, Breezie

Upvote 0
No offense to anyone but I never put copper coins in lemon juice. I've seen them lose detail using just plain water. I would just flake the brown crust off and if it all comes off leave it like it is. If it doesn't all come off peroxide should be safe to use on it.

Upvote 0
I'd start with diet coke. Won't hurt it. You can even simmer it for a bit. Works good and won't even strip the patina.

Daryl

Upvote 0
I will try to take off the crud, I thought it was part of the coin. It has interesting marks on one side. I think there is 4 grooves in it. :dontknow:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back