✅ SOLVED Coin, trinket and dagger quillion?

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
I've been recently hunting on pasture close to a village that had a Roman settlement from the 1st to 5th century. (Northern England) The area is renowned for its Roman finds and so being a massive history nerd ive been going there when I get chance in the hope of a Roman relic or nice denarius (daren't dream of a solidus)

So far all I've managed is a crusty sestertius with no chance of an ID.
However this being a historically rich area ive still been finding medieval stuff and a good few silver coins the earliest being Henry VII.
Every time I visit I find something of interest it really is a great permission
Got in jusy a couple of hours yesterday nothing spectacular. Little hammered coin which i reckon is Elizabeth I.
The fish/dolphin trinket which i assume is modern
And what I think is a dagger quillion?
Feels and looks like it has some age. Post medieval at latest.
Amy info and help with it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG-20240809-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20240809-WA0008.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG-20240809-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20240809-WA0007.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG-20240809-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20240809-WA0005.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG-20240809-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20240809-WA0004.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG-20240809-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20240809-WA0003.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG-20240809-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20240809-WA0002.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 37
Hammered is a Lizzy I Halfgroat. (2 pellets behind bust type)

I don't think that is sword/dagger related, looks too thick, probably furniture related.

Upvote 2
Hammered is a Lizzy I Halfgroat. (2 pellets behind bust type)

I don't think that is sword/dagger related, looks too thick, probably furniture related.
Thanks for the coin ID pal. Most of the hammereds ive been fortunate enough to find have been Post medieval with those Elizabeth's by far the most prolific. That is now my 23rd Lizzie in 3 years detecting. Only Charles I comes near with 8. Early medieval are more elusive though. Only one from the 15th century, one from the 14th and 7 from the 12th.
My coin collection has a huge void of over a thousand years from the last of my Roman in the year 166AD to the year 1215AD.
Would love to fill that gap with something from the "dark ages" but it blows me away that we are closer to the year 1215 and King John than 1215 was to the year 166AD and Marcus Aurelias.

The FLO reckons it's a "stiletto quillion" from a post medieval dagger.

And I'm wondering whether that fish/dolphin thing is actually an aquatic dinosaur?
Can't even fathom what it's made of. Looks silver bit I'm not getting any odour from a foil test.

Upvote 1
Thanks for the coin ID pal. Most of the hammereds ive been fortunate enough to find have been Post medieval with those Elizabeth's by far the most prolific. That is now my 23rd Lizzie in 3 years detecting. Only Charles I comes near with 8. Early medieval are more elusive though. Only one from the 15th century, one from the 14th and 7 from the 12th.
My coin collection has a huge void of over a thousand years from the last of my Roman in the year 166AD to the year 1215AD.
Would love to fill that gap with something from the "dark ages" but it blows me away that we are closer to the year 1215 and King John than 1215 was to the year 166AD and Marcus Aurelias.

The FLO reckons it's a "stiletto quillion" from a post medieval dagger.

And I'm wondering whether that fish/dolphin thing is actually an aquatic dinosaur?
Can't even fathom what it's made of. Looks silver bit I'm not getting any odour from a foil test.
Those gaps are tough, just need to grid the right areas. If your thinking Sceats, they are nearly impossible to research the lost sites. You just have to do the leg work. If your lucky they will be near a Roman Site.

Upvote 2
Those gaps are tough, just need to grid the right areas. If your thinking Sceats, they are nearly impossible to research the lost sites. You just have to do the leg work. If your lucky they will be near a Roman Site.
Those Sceats are beautiful little coins I'd be well chuffed to come across one.
I suppose where I live I have a chance of finding a Mercian but more likely a Northumbrian though I've never heard of any other detectorists around here finding any. Would be interesting to see how many have been found.
Where im currently detecting is probably my best bet as I know during archaeological investigations they've found evidence for a continuity of occupation throughout thst early medieval period, though most of it is out of bounds till harvest and the grass on the pasture us getting too long. It.maunbe a few weeks till i get chance to return there.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back