✅ SOLVED Coin? Token? Slug?

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's in rough shape so this might be a long shot, but I figure someone might know. I found it today, seems to be copper, I thought by the signal I was digging a penny. It's roughly the same size as a quarter but much thinner. There's writing around one edge but I can't make out much of it. Maybe an "S", an "A" or "V". Not sure. There's also a design of some sort on the back (or front?) . So if its not a coin, I'd say it's a token of some sort. Found it in an area that has both 18th and 19th century history.

uhavedyz.jpg

6yjyvuvy.jpg

Looks like a colonial copper. Search King George pennies and half pennies on Google. You might be able to make out enough detail to identify the coin.

Upvote 0
Looks like a colonial copper. Search King George pennies and half pennies on Google. You might be able to make out enough detail to identify the coin.

You nailed it. I quickly found it (or one very similar) . There's enough detail to make a match with this 1773 colonial Virginia half penny. I don't know enough to say it's the same year, but it's definitely the same design on both sides. And I did find it here in Virginia. Thanks for the ID. :)

a2a3avy3.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back