Picture 008.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 702
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 612
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 484
Never heard of anyone making a coin ring from a modern penny. It sure looks odd. What happened to all the rest of the letters? Can you post apic of it next to a normal penny?

:dontknow:

DCMatt

Upvote 0
wow...that is one strange looking coin. It almost looks like some did a casting of Lincoln and this is the result. Or a really bad counterfeit. :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
Looks a hair smaller, so I would say some one started a ring out of one for some reason. The ring, as it rolled: also gave away at one edge. Seems it got a bit brittle on them.

Upvote 0
Heres another one SpoonedCentObv300px.jpg

Attachments

• SpoonedCentObv300px.jpg
    SpoonedCentObv300px.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,989
Upvote 0
BCH, is that your coin and did you dig it or is that a pic from the Internet? Breezie

Upvote 0
Breezie said:
BCH, is that your coin and did you dig it or is that a pic from the Internet? Breezie
Hello Breezie. I figured I would have to explain it. ;D

Its a picture of interest off the internet that I saved in my files. I cant remember exactly but I believe it was considered to be post mint spooned coin or another possibility was run through the dryer or washer water pump for a long time. I have to search I think it may have been from a numismatics site.

Upvote 0
:thumbsup:

Looks like some one started to make a coin ring, and it went bad :-\

SS

Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
I cant explain the extra loop on the coin.

The loop is were it broke from the rim as the metal was rolled and turned in on the face. Simpler terms it broke free of the spooned rim.

Upvote 0
Here is a possible answer and they have been on here before. It is likely to have been caught inside a clothes dryer drum for a few million revolutions and finally made its way out.

Good Luck!

Bob

Upvote 0
My vote would be clothes dryer. I have a dime that looks almost identical, and was told by a coin dealer that a dryer did it. Mine looks even more odd, because it is a silver colored dime with a copper ring around the outside since the dryer folded it over.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back