Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello folks, I found this in a cornfield that has a very large history. I've found items that date back into the 1700's there so far.

This popped out just the other day. I'm hoping that SOMEBODY will be able to help me put an ID tag on it for my case.

It appears to be copper, seems pretty thin, weighs 3.01 grams, and you can see the size. At first, I thought it was a button with the stem broken off and I suppose it still could be. As far as I can tell so far, there doesn't seem to be anywhere that shows a former stem attached. Rings in at about 78 on the AT-Pro.

Here's what it looked like coming out of the ground:

COIN1.jpgCOIN2.jpgCOIN3.jpgCOIN4.jpg

Here it is after I picked as much of the dried dirt off as I could:

IMGA3032.JPGIMGA3033.JPG

And this, after I did everything I could think of to raise ANY details. Some pics are dry and some with a bit of olive oil to hopefully show something I can't see. :dontknow: what else I can do.

IMGA3036.JPGIMGA3037.JPGIMGA3038.JPGIMGA3039.JPGIMGA3040.JPGIMGA3041.JPGIMGA3042.JPGIMGA3043.JPGIMGA3044.JPGIMGA3045.JPG

I'm hoping that one of you coin experts can give me something to put on my tag. I'd dearly like to know.

Thanks folks!

HH!

Last edited:
Looks like a coin or token to me, but I really don't know. Maybe it IS a button since it looks like there's a design element on just one side. I'll be checking back though because now I'm really curious too. No doubt this has been a very helpful comment to you. :laughing7:

Upvote 0
If a coin, it appears to be Farthing size (approx 22mm) I lean coin for sure, but.....

Upvote 0
If a coin, it appears to be Farthing size (approx 22mm) I lean coin for sure, but.....

I sort of do too.

About your quote: "The mantra has always been don't clean a (copper) coin or it will lose value.
For undug coins this is true.  For dug coins this is untrue.
The value will increase with judicious cleaning."

Look at the first picture. Better uncleaned? ;)

Thanks!
HH!

Upvote 0
Belgian coin.....Joe

Now, THAT, is what I'm talking about when I sing the praises of the knowledgeable people here at T-Net!!! :icon_thumright:

With Joesmarbles' eyes and rastinirv's sample, I had a clue where to try and look for detail on the coin. I had already decided I was seeing something like a Sphinx's Lion and something beside it when I saw these messages.

After magnifying the right spot I believe we can almost see the word CENT at the bottom!!!

Thank you Joe and rastinirv! A great job!!!!

Unless someone else wants to disagree, I would think they should congratulate Joe on his eyes and then I'll mark this solved.

IMGA3046.JPGIMGA3047.JPG

The letter "T" is the most readable, just have to look really, really close.

Thanks again!
HH!

Upvote 0
Yeah, pretty amazing for Joe to figure that out. Maybe he has some of those in his collection. I thought the lion (left part of it at least) looked like a horse coming toward the viewer turned 45 degrees or so. I was going nuts doing image searches on "horse token" and "horse coin" (lots of nice coins and tokens out there with horses on them, though...)

Upvote 0
Thanks everybody, the eyes are old but the mind is still sharp!!.....Joe

Apparently!!

I like to think mine is still fairly sharp too, but, I just don't know foreign coins very well. I thought I saw an animal/lion but wasn't sure.

You NAILED it!!

Thanks!

HH!

Upvote 0
Left unsaid is how interesting it is that you found this coin in a US cornfield. Too bad you can't get a date on it (presumably). Years ago an unexpected find was a huge 1923 Westphalia (Germany) 10,000 mark coin (which had a horse on it, come to think of it) in a DC park.

Upvote 0
Left unsaid is how interesting it is that you found this coin in a US cornfield. Too bad you can't get a date on it (presumably). Years ago an unexpected find was a huge 1923 Westphalia (Germany) 10,000 mark coin (which had a horse on it, come to think of it) in a DC park.

Well, the people in the US did come from across the pond. ;) At least, a lot of them did. :)
It takes a while for a copper to wear like this, I'm thinking early 1800's. But, that's fine. At least now I know. :)

Thanks!
HH!

Upvote 0
Sweet Coin Find, Even if is tosted It still Is Able to Be Identified Her On Treasurenet!!! Chug

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back