Coin? Is there a face or am I just seeing things?

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Looking through some of my old finds while visiting in Michigan, I came across a small copper(?) disk a little bit bigger than a penny that is worn smooth on both sides.

This coin (if it is a coin) has a diameter of .815 inches (as compared to a penny with .75 inches. Also slightly thicker than a penny at .062 inches.

I scrutinized it for a long time under magnification, and now I swear I see a face on the coin.

Here are pictures of the side with what I see as a small off-center face with either a huge hairdo like the bride of Frankenstien or an indian headdress staring to the left. I circled it in the first picture...

facecircled.jpg

IMG_9358.jpg

IMG_9359.jpg

IMG_9360.jpg

IMG_9361.jpg

IMG_9362.jpg

IMG_9363.jpg

IMG_9364.jpg

IMG_9365.jpg

And here are pictures of the opposite side, on which I cannot make out any features...

IMG_9366.jpg

IMG_9367.jpg

IMG_9368.jpg

IMG_9369.jpg

IMG_9370.jpg

IMG_9371.jpg

IMG_9372.jpg

IMG_9373.jpg

IMG_9374.jpg

it may be "man in the moon Syndrome" because I am seeing a face in the same spot looking to the Right & the Left & A goat sitting on their Heads facing left.
I'm Not being a smart ass.

in the one Circled I see one looking to the Left.

Upvote 0
Most probable guess is a counterfeit KGIII Halfpenny or counterfeit KGIII Irish Halfpenny. :icon_scratch:
Ah, noticed the size , well not halfpenny size, but also not farthing size either, nor any of the Woods Hibernia coppers or Rosa Americana. Considering it was found in Michigan, and without seeing an edge shot, that size given does match untold numbers of flat buttons, sometimes it can be very hard to see where the shank was attached. Just another shot in the dark btw. ::)

The closest coin in size would be a Farthing, of the more common possiblites.

Don

Upvote 0
I think you are seeing something that resembles a face. I couldn't say with any confidence that it is a face however. Most faces on a coin are usually centered, perhaps a token? Now before anyone jumps in and says there are coins with faces off center, I admit there may well be but I am just not aware of them. Monty

Upvote 0
You missed it :-X

Second & third pics, bust facing right, to me looks most like an Irish George I Farthing. 1722 or 1723. (Is in the Redbook.. see it?)

Attachments

• a12.JPG
    a12.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 333
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:

Second & third pics, bust facing right, to me looks most like an Irish George I Farthing. 1722 or 1723. (Is in the Redbook.. see it?)

I can't see the bust facing right that you are seeing. This coin (if it is a coin) has a diameter of .815 inches (as compared to a penny with .75 inches. Also slightly thicker than a penny at .062 inches.

Upvote 0
jeff of pa said:
it may be "man in the moon Syndrome" because I am seeing a face in the same spot looking to the Right & the Left & A goat sitting on their Heads facing left.

agreed, random scratches which look face like.

Upvote 0
time4me said:
Iron Patch said:

I can't see the bust facing right that you are seeing. This coin (if it is a coin) has a diameter of .815 inches (as compared to a penny with .75 inches. Also slightly thicker than a penny at .062 inches.

Attachments

• pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 313
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
jeff of pa said:

agreed, random scratches which look face like.
You must be smoking the same pipe ;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0
tyre kicker said:
Iron Patch said:
Maybe, maybe not, but that looks close to that big ole nose. :D
So it's a Irish or soho issue then :icon_scratch:

I have no idea. That's just my best shot at seeing something.

If the diameter matches then maybe.

Upvote 0
Don't laugh to bad but I am the worlds worst at this, I do see a face on here but what I see is more like this
Good luck on the ID

Attachments

• copper.jpg
    copper.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 295
Upvote 0
Man, I have looked and looked and don't see anything...

Maybe I need to take a pull on the same bottle to sharpen the ol eyesight.

Upvote 0
It may destroy your coin but in the long ago when curiousity was
killing us we would heat a slick to near red hot and the design would
be visible. We were too clueless to try to get a picture while it was
hot and clearly visible. siegfried schlagrule

Upvote 0
txkickergirl said:
Don't laugh to bad but I am the worlds worst at this, I do see a face on here but what I see is more like this
Good luck on the ID

Based soley on the outline you superimposed, I'd say it looks alot like a Maravedis

1784%20Spain%204%20Maravedis.jpg

My two cents,

Pcola

Upvote 0
PcolaBoy said:
txkickergirl said:
Good luck on the ID

Based soley on the outline you superimposed, I'd say it looks alot like a Maravedis

1784%20Spain%204%20Maravedis.jpg

My two cents,

Pcola

Well to be honest I think it's neither. :D The profile of the neck doesn't seem to match either. Fun to play, just too bad there wasn't a little more to go on.

Upvote 0
txkickergirl said:
Good luck on the ID

That's what I see But I'd bet the front of the face is worn off

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back