✅ SOLVED Coin identification

jaytmon

Nov 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A mate of mine found this, didn't say where and it looked interesting so I took a couple of pics - he doesn't really do the internet.
Anyway, from looking through google it seems to be some kind of escudo, possible an 8 escudo piece? I would really appreciate an expert opinion on year and any other info.
Cheers
WP_001081.jpgWP_001083.jpg

Looks to be a replica of a spanish gold coin. Note the bubbling around the edges indicating the piece was cast/poured. If it were real the details would be sharper as the coins were all hand hammered. It still may be a solid gold replica and thus worth it's weight in gold.

Upvote 0
Is there a molding seam along the edge of the coin....the original Spanish cobs were carved from a long rod and the imprint was hammered on both sides of the coin....the modern tourist versions generally have a molding seam along the edge.

Regards + HH

Bill

Upvote 0
Thanks for your replies chaps, I will check along the edges. Fishwhacker what you're saying makes sense - it does look more molded than hammered. Any idea how I can tell if it's gold?!
John

Upvote 0
Thanks for your replies chaps, I will check along the edges. Fishwhacker what you're saying makes sense - it does look more molded than hammered. Any idea how I can tell if it's gold?!
John

No need to check anything because it's not even a good fake. Maybe next time!

Upvote 0
Thanks for your replies, brief excitement over, maybe next time.
At least I know where to come now if ever I find any interesting looking trinkets :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back