Coin ID

suberdave

May 22, 2012
Eagle Rock CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there, just wondering if anyone can tell me about this coin? Thanks ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476941003.834708.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476941042.436221.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476941085.607739.jpg

More info would be helpful-like what country do you live in, what other relics have you found on the site, etc.

Upvote 0
Hi sorry, I live in Los Angeles, CA. I was fortunate enough to be able to search a house and yard built in 1887. The new owner, who bought it from the descendants of the original builder, gave me full access. I searched the house and property for almost a year. I cleaned out the fireplace. I think the fireplace had not been cleaned out since 1900. That's where I found this coin, along with many other coins. And lots of Levi buttons. Maybe at one point it was in someone's pant pocket and they burned their jeans for warmth? The very first find on that property was a 1909 wheatie, and a round ball. So that's the story of this coin. Thank you

Upvote 0
Hi sorry, I live in Los Angeles, CA. I was fortunate enough to be able to search a house and yard built in 1887. The new owner, who bought it from the descendants of the original builder, gave me full access. I searched the house and property for almost a year. I cleaned out the fireplace. I think the fireplace had not been cleaned out since 1900. That's where I found this coin, along with many other coins. And lots of Levi buttons. Maybe at one point it was in someone's pant pocket and they burned their jeans for warmth? The very first find on that property was a 1909 wheatie, and a round ball. So that's the story of this coin. Thank you

Any mint mark and VDB on that 1909

Upvote 0
As Don has correctly stated this is a “Barbarous Radiate” coin which came from the activities of irregular issues made between AD 275-285 mainly in Britain,Gaul, possibly North Africa and Spain.
They are found in UK on many Roman sites and can be between10-18mm. They range from quite good copies of mainly Claudius II Gothicus, Tetricus I and Tetricus II to quite bizarre designs similar to Celtic coinage.
In this case the coin appears to mimic the headof Claudius II Gothicus (ruler AD268-270) with a reverse like a Deity standing left holding Olive-branch whilst leaning on an object with an altar in front byfeet. This appears to be a mix of the SALVS AVG reverses of CIIG of which one depicts SALUS (has sceptre and feeds snake from altar) and the other APOLLO(has olive branch and leans on Lyre).
Exactly which Emperor and the Reverse the coinmimics is up to interpretation but that is my best estimate. Certainly the coinis an imitation Roman Antoninianus of AD275-285.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wow thanks, Crusader that's great information. Thank you DownNDirty, Mackaydon. Very helpfull I appreciate your responses.

Upvote 0
Wow thanks, Crusader that's great information. Thank you DownNDirty, Mackaydon. Very helpfull I appreciate your responses.

I could have given the basic ID, but the credit goes to Cru'Dad for the explanation.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back