Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Tnetters,

Fellow TNet member Beez0404 is in NY (yankeeland) hunting this week. He found this coin(?) and I am trying to ID it for him. He says that it is thin and bigger than a nickel. It looks to me like a counterfeit seated quarter... but what do I know.

Any input (on the coin) is most appreciated.
Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_1364-1.jpg
    IMG_1364-1.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 139
How about a fake $2.5 gold coin...

Update: We think that it is a counterfeit $5 coin... about the size of a nickel.

Attachments

• imagesN8FTK3PK.jpg
    imagesN8FTK3PK.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey buddy, how about better pix? Obverse and reverse, size, weight. Get it tested by jeweler? Looks interesting.

Put it in "coins" and "what is it" forums too. Good luck on the ID.
Brad

Upvote 0
Man you would think if someone was going to counterfeit a coin they would at least copy the design of a real one.

Upvote 0
Interesting post..

Do you know what Metal it's made of ?

Does it have the 2.50 Error ? or is it marked 2 1/2 like it should be?

Is the back Plain ? ' As if it were cut in half?.

If its THIN, Brass & has the 2.50 error & has a blank Back, I found one just like it in the Spring here in N Ga, in a US Calvary Camp .

There is also one Pictured/ Commented on in the Q&A With Charlie Harris Section of American Digger Magazine Sept ,Oct 2014.

Cool find for your Buddy.

Davers

Upvote 0
Interesting post..

Do you know what Metal it's made of ?

Does it have the 2.50 Error ? or is it marked 2 1/2 like it should be?

Is the back Plain ? ' As if it were cut in half?.

If its THIN, Brass & has the 2.50 error & has a blank Back, I found one just like it in the Spring here in N Ga, in a US Calvary Camp .

There is also one Pictured/ Commented on in the Q&A With Charlie Harris Section of American Digger Magazine Sept ,Oct 2014.

Cool find for your Buddy.

Davers

Yo Davers,
I hope that all is well in Georgia.

Beez0404 found it in NY yesterday. He sent me a pic and told me to ID it. I have not actually seen the coin yet, but he said the back was blank. He said the coin is thin also. I think that it is made of a pewter or lead alloy, but that's a guess.

I think that it is a really cool find, but Beez is not happy because it is a FAKE!
GL&HH to all!

Upvote 0
Mine is of thin brass & is not Struck Well at all ' I did not think it said anything until I cleaned it.

The one in the Magazine is Pretty Heavily gilted & is well Struck.

It's Mr Harris's opinion that a Soldier was in the Middle of Making a love Token & when he Found out it was Fake Gold Just threw it away.
As I stated the Real ones were marked 21/2 D & my fake and the one in the mag has the same error.

It seems if someone were making a Fake Coin He/she would not make such an obvious Error.
So maybe ' for some reason they were meant to be Replicas cause with enough differences the coins would not be considered illegal Counterfeit's ' In Mr Harris's Opinion'..

Still would like to know if your buddies Coin has the "2.50" or 21/2 D like the real ones.

Ill bet your bud was ill his coin was NOT Gold , When I dug Mine It was Obvious it was Brass or Copper but just 20 feet away I dug a 4th Calvary OVC Sutlers Token , that was a little smaller than the Eagle piece were talking about. If it were not for that , I likely would have not given the 'Said' piece a Second look. Glad I did.

Doing well down here , Just Addicted to Detecting , but it's better than Drinking LOL.

HH & Good Luck

Davers 2,000-s -Thant Post...COOL. 'Should say Post # 2,000 Cool'

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Most likely a contemporary counterfeit of a $5 gold coin (a counterfeit coin made with the intent of spending at face value, in this case $5, most likely made at the same time as the coin it was copied off of). Some stores in the 1800's made tokens based on the design of gold coins, but on some area of the coin (most likely replacing the motto) they but the store name. It was made to look like a no motto variety coronet half eagle made from 1839-1866. As far as I can tell that is a counterfeit, and a really cool find.

Congrats, I really want to find a contemporary counterfeit coin of any kind, they are so cool.

Note: gold does not corrode so that is gold plated (you probably knew that though)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back