Coin ID help

stefpryce

Feb 22, 2010
Maine
Detector(s) used
f-70
Found this little toasted coin around a site that has given up some pretty early stuff... 1600’s.
In PA you often come across really toasted coppers almost impossible to ID but the size of this one is so different it makes me extra curious. Beeped very high like silver, definitely isn’t a nickel. Measures right around 21mm . Might be my imagination but I see a left facing bust?
Thanks!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1555510835.162521.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1555510851.192758.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1555510861.426556.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1555510873.243882.jpg

I found one about like that a while back but eventually came to the conclusion that even if I were to identify it it was too heavily damaged to have ANY value and threw it away.

Good luck figuring it out though.

Upvote 0
I can't see a thing as to its identity.....too toasted.

Upvote 0
If you'll post better pics I'll take a look.

Place the coin on a medium dark, non-reflective surface ,and use natural light if possible.

Pics of objects in you hand more often focus on you fingers than on the object.

Weight and measurements are also helpful. I'm guessing 24mm as it is just a breath larger than the half-cent. Am I correct?

Upvote 0
Told you they would want better pics lol. Another thought if we can't get it ID'ed maybe just MAYBE tumble it. I know I know but it may give an ID.
I was with him when this was found and it rang up at an 89 on the Equinox. Crazy.

Upvote 0
put some hydrogen peroxide in a glass microwave it for 30 seconds get it warm to hot drop the coin in watch the dirt fizz off works very well

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back