Coin ID help

paul75

Apr 9, 2016
DURHAM GB
Detector(s) used
ebinger ebex pi, nokta fors core.CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg Hi can anyone help me to ID this coin? Please, I found it on a site where they used to be a Roman fort,It measures 15mm to 16mm made of bronze I think,It reads 73-74 with the Nokta fors core and it's thin like a hammered coin.Any help appreciated thanks

Last edited:
Very little to go on. Resembles a rotted button, or maybe a medieval jeton... could be a lot of things.

Upvote 0
hi Don ive cleaned it up a bit but its just the same, Theres not much to go off. at a rough guess have you any ideas what it could be or looks like. thanks

Upvote 0
The coin on the upper right has a "C". To the left of the "C" is the outline of an "S". This combination is common on many Roman coins.
Unlike gold and silver issues, Roman Imperial bronze coins contained less than the full nominal value in metal. Their value was supported by the decree of the Senate "Senatus Consulto" or 'SC'.Almost all bronze coins issued before the late third century AD bore the letters SC on the reverse.
Don........

Upvote 0
thanks Don, thats great

Upvote 0
image.jpeg
I've cleaned it up a bit don, and took new pictures hope this helps, thanks Paul

Upvote 0
The coin on the upper right has a "C". To the left of the "C" is the outline of an "S". This combination is common on many Roman coins.
Unlike gold and silver issues, Roman Imperial bronze coins contained less than the full nominal value in metal. Their value was supported by the decree of the Senate "Senatus Consulto" or 'SC'.Almost all bronze coins issued before the late third century AD bore the letters SC on the reverse.
Don........
Hi don, I've cleaned it up a bit and put some new pictures on this thread, thanks Paul

Upvote 0
The top left coin reminds me of Roman coins with a "GLORIA EXERCITVS" image; that of two soldiers facing one another with two standards between.Each holds a spear and leans on a shield. Please accept my comments with a large degree of personal speculation (and imagination); nothing is yet convincing.
Don.......

Upvote 0
The top left coin reminds me of Roman coins with a "GLORIA EXERCITVS" image; that of two soldiers facing one another with two standards between.Each holds a spear and leans on a shield. Please accept my comments with a large degree of personal speculation (and imagination); nothing is yet convincing.
Don.......
Any help or info is appreciated,i know its in bad condition but its the not knowing what you've got! thanks for your time Don

Upvote 0
th_AbbasidAEfals753-774AD.jpg Abbasid Caliphate (Medieval Iraq): bronze fals, 753-774 AD
This bronze fals was struck between 753 and 774 AD by the Abbasid Caliphate, under the authority of Al Mansur, the Caliph of Baghdad. I must confess that before going to Wikipedia (God bless Wikipedia!) all I knew about this coin was what it said on the holder. (Let's just hope I at least got it right-side-up in the pictures, haha.) Early Islamic (any Islamic) is not my forte, you see. That being said, I must say that this piece has fantastic "black-and-tan" desert patina, which IS my forte. What's it worth? I haven't the foggiest idea. For pricing, I'll conjure a number out of thin air. If it's worth less than that (or especially if it's worth gazillions more) do please let me know. $19. (Simply because an old book I found lists similar-sounding pieces at $20-ish). To me it looks a little bit like a Arabic coin of some sort.

Upvote 0
hi Jan, sorry for the late reply. yeah i can see what you mean, i just wish there was a little more detail on it just to be sure. But thank you for taking the time out to help me with this

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back