✅ SOLVED Coin ID Help

You posted to close together,neither would open,seperate the wording like below.

Attachment 1210454 Attachment 1210455

Upvote 0
Thread was incomplete and was accidentally uploaded. Trying again, thanks.

Upvote 0
20150911_180812 (2).jpg
20150911_214738_resized.jpg

Having trouble with photo uploading.

Upvote 0
20150911_214738_resized.jpg
20150911_180812 (2).jpg

Need help with coin ID. Washington quarter is in photo for scale.

Upvote 0
Hooper,

That beat up coin looks hammered to me....which area are you in and would hammered coins be a possibility where you're located?

Regards + HH

Bill

Upvote 0
Found this coin in a park that has given up a wide range of dated coins and buttons. From 1723 KG to early 1800's large cents to 1900's silver. Flat buttons, etc.
I found this coin yesterday morning but haven't any idea on it, not even sure which way to present it. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks. Hooper.

Upvote 0
Haven't found any hammered coins. The soil is rich dirt within 100 yards of salt water.

Upvote 0
I think that may be the reverse of a Connecticut copper or the like. Here is a basic comparison - there are a bunch of reverses so I probably didn't pick the exact match.

Attachments

• ConnecticutCompare.jpg
    ConnecticutCompare.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 65
Upvote 0
I have to agree with you. I have a book by Q. David Bowers named Colonial and Early American Coins that I tried to use to help ID the coin but because I couldn't get the rotation right I was stuck but now that you posted your pic, I went back and can see it is very strong possibility to the reverse die on a Connecticut Copper.
I am on the NY/CT border which helps with the possibility also, I believe. Thank you very much Bramblefind. Happy hunting!

Upvote 0
Hooper,

OK being close to the ocean the soil probably has some salt content would explains the chewed up rim giving an appearance of it being a hammered coin.

Bramblefind probably nailed the id for you.

Regards + HH

Bill

Found this coin in a park that has given up a wide range of dated coins and buttons. From 1723 KG to early 1800's large cents to 1900's silver. Flat buttons, etc.
I found this coin yesterday morning but haven't any idea on it, not even sure which way to present it. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks. Hooper.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back