COIN BEACH

mfc83

Feb 27, 2010
MILLSBORO,DE
Detector(s) used
FISHER 1280X ,FISHER F2,BOUNTY HUNTER IV , TESORO CUTLASS UMAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok this was a couple weeks ago before Irene went thur Delaware had family out on beach fishing decided to give my bounty hunter iv a try and wow 2 pennys not 20ft apart 1st one was just a couple inches 2nd one was just under surface of sand 1 isnt too bad can read a date with mag glass 1775 the other is worn, my equipment may not be high tech but i am having a great time and finding a few things along the way

Attachments

• 0806111617.jpg
    0806111617.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,135
  • 0806111612.jpg
    0806111612.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,124
Upvote 0
If you can find George coppers you're doing something right.

WOW, you found those on Coin Beach? Great :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

I'm leaving for vacation this Wednesday morning and going down to Ocean City, MD for Bike Week BUT first I'm spending Wednesday night and Thursday at Rehoboth Beach and taking my metal detector and plan on hitting Coin Beach Wednesday evening and Thursday.

welcome and Congrats on the coppers :hello2:
looking forward to seeing more posts!
Ya don't need hitech to make good finds, research & finding good sites are key :thumbsup:

I still use my tracker IV for extra trashy places that the CZ goes nuts in. It will hit a silver dime at 6 inches which isn't bad for a 90 dollar MD.
anyway congrats on your beach finds hope you find many more. :icon_profileright:

Congrads on the nice finds, not many coming from that area of late that I have heard of. I'm wondering how many hunt deep in the water there....

Nice Bro! Ive been at it for a while and those babies are still on my list. Keep It Up!!! M.J.

Nice Find! I have seen pictures of Coin Beach coins found in the last few years that are really ...well, not in the best shape.
Let me relate a story of my experience at Coin Beach in 1993.

I arrived from Frederick, MD at 0600 in the AM., following a severe Nor'easter and I went to the life saving station and moved south about a 1/4 mile. There was good erosion everywhere and I had an XL500 pulse detector so I immediately started searching.
Soon I came across an area where there were little pillars of sand about 2 inches high and each one I came across (28) had a half penny sitting exactly centered
on top of the column. These were Hibernias (with the Harp) and Cartwheels (with Britannia). BEST OF ALL...they were ALL dated 1776 to 1783 and were only lightly coated with malachite ( the green stain) and would have graded in VF to EF condition. I sold them for $25 apiece.

The columns were very tight and "cemented" by the corrosion effects of the coin therefore I feel certain they were at the highest point of the tide, down deep and thus not continually exposed to the effects of total submersion in seawater.
I had a house fire in 1995 that destroyed my pictures and data disks so I have no pictures. I believe the coins of late are washed up from offshore and exhibit the effects of 220+ years of corrosion from total submersion.

If you search after storms...definitely search near the berm and look for pillars with coins. Sadly for me, later that day a fellow from Ocean City, Md., found a Rose gold guinea
not 100 yards from where I was searching.

Clint Lincoln

Thats great Clint, got me pumped up now. Hope I can find a couple while I'm down there this week. I'll keep my eyes open for those little mounds. Thanks for the tips................Rich

Congrats on finding pieces of history of the Faithful Steward.. I only found clad coinage when we visited there a few years back. the 1775 was one of the typical British Halfpence counterfeits on board along with your second coin which appears to be a undersized counterfeit KGIII Irish Halfpenny, most likely 1781 or 1782 based on others found there.

Don

Attachments

• CoinBeach2.jpg
    CoinBeach2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 500
the tracker IV is a good machine ive found lots with it for the money its a great all around machine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back