Coil depth

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lets just say, none of the factors that make me love the 5x8DD are a factor (target separation, better balance, lighter, blah, blah, I know), but if a guy were to tough it out, on a pretty clean site, and put the stock 8.5x11DD stock coil back on, to get max. depth, for relics. would it be enough additional depth (couple inches?) to be worth it? I sure like the smaller one, buy don't want to miss deeper stuff. Anyone do any air testing on these two>

Last edited:
I do not use an At pro but I have an Ace 250 (I know 2 completely different machines) but I bought a NEL 13x14 dd coil and did air tests and have the results compared to the 6.5x9 concentric which in the air (no mineralized ground) should have same depth as the 5x8.

I have those results if you want them. But I will say yes there would be a difference.

Lets just say, none of the factors that make me love the 5x8DD are a factor (target separation, better balance, lighter, blah, blah, I know), but if a guy were to tough it out, on a pretty clean site, and put the stock 8.5x11DD stock coil back on, to get max. depth, for relics. would it be enough additional depth (couple inches?) to be worth it? I sure like the smaller one, buy don't want to miss deeper stuff. Anyone do any air testing on these two>

Totally depends on your belief of what under your feet. If you run the 8.5x11 and don't find anything any deeper than the 5x8, do you then get a 15" NEL or SEF? And if still no results, a better (deeper) machine? Then a big coil for that one when results aren't favorable?

Personally I have NEVER had the stock coil find ANYTHING the 5x8 couldn't find!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back