Coil cover problem

jjp

Greenie
Mar 2, 2005
PA
Well I have whites IDX Pro and the stock coil. My problem the coil cover is stuck on. It fits like a glove and is just too damn tight to pry off.
My only thoughts were to let it sit out in the sun for a while and then lube it with olive oil.
I?d hate to mess up the coil by prying into it with something
Any suggestions?

Here?s a sample of what the coil and cover look like if anyone isn?t familiar with the items
-Joe

Attachments

• 501_4066_1sm.jpg
    501_4066_1sm.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 168
  • Coil-Cover.jpg
    Coil-Cover.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 168
  • whites__950_loop.jpg
    whites__950_loop.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 163
Upvote 0
i tried taking mine off once, but gave up after a few minutes.? mine is definitely on for life. :P

I've had the same problem with my CZ coil cover...
I took a piece of wood with a good straight edge on it and caught the lip of the cover. Then while trying to hold the coil secure, I tapped the wood with a small hammer. A good sturdy tap, I found to be best, if you don't give it a pretty good whack, you will be hitting it again... After getting one side loose you may have to move to the other side and do the same thing.
This may not be such a good idea, but it did work for me, without any problem...

Maybe someone else has a better technique. It will be interesting to see...
Also, there may be some info in your manual, or in mine... I never read them well enough... ;D
Hope this helps... All I can say is, " Do be careful..."

I can suggest Something, Get some Super Glue. or any other Glue for that matter. Put A few Drops on a Piece of Wood & glue it fast to the Bottom of the Coil Cover. Then Turn The Wood Like Your Unscrewing the Cover, Pulling Slightly as you do it. After, If your Careful, You Should be Able to Break The Cover Loose again From the Board.

You may try going from cold to warm. Set it in a freezer for 1 hour the bring it out in a warm room. It may cause the cover to expand faster then the coil. be carefull that there is not moisture in the cover. Don't used the coil until it has warmed for a while. I have the same unit, hope I don't have the same problem. I will know later today when I check.

Good luck,

Ed

I just took mine off of my XLT's to clean the inside earlier.... had a little bit of dirt inside.

It isnt that hard.... what i do is take a dull thin screwdriver.....slip it into the crease of the outer edge of the coil & run it around the whole coil so to break any seal of dried dirt that may be making the coil stick. I then do the same with the inner edge (the coils hole in the middle). Then i push both the outer edge & inner edge down on one part of the coil ..... once you get the cover's lips off the coil you can pull it off. Its kind of a pain.... but it works.

Pry a tiny section away from the coil and hit it with a blast of air for those who have an air compressor handy.

I have no problems with mine. i have one on my DFX and MXT. It just takes a little patience and know how.

I was planning to get a cover for mine but my fear was that dirt or sand would get trapped in between the cover and the coil and end up causing more damage. Unless you seal it up good like TOW. Had a bedliner for a truck once that caused more damage because some dirt had gotten in between the liner and the bed and over a few years of shaking around it took the paint right off and was rusting the bed.

Dudes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back