Coffin flask and pumpkin seeds!!

ink-a-alot

Dec 14, 2008
East Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coffin flask and pumpkin seed's!!

I have over 160 of these, all sorts of sizes and all are immaculate, the coffin flask has 4 nails in the front and some of my pumkin seeds have stars on them, they date to the civil war im told but i cannot find them on the net, anyone can help me out i would be thankful.

Re: Coffin flask and pumpkin seed's!!

I don't even know what those are, but would love to see some pictures. Monty

Monty said:
they shaped like a pumpkin seed, and a coffin with 3 or 4 nails in them...

ink-a-alot said:
Monty said:
they shaped like a pumpkin seed, and a coffin with 3 or 4 nails in them...

Now the picture is clear. ::) :P :icon_scratch:

This type ? :icon_scratch:

FLASK.jpg

have a good un...........
SHERMANVILLE

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
This type ? :icon_scratch:

have a good un...........
SHERMANVILLE
im goin to try to put some pics up today, yes and no, mine are light purple and the lips look differint then the ones u have shown,the coffins have nails on the front, but yes they do look like those you have in shape...

yawn,,,,,, I need to go to the basement and dig out some pumpkin flask?????

One of my little dug favorites.

Attachments

• 100_1600.JPG
    100_1600.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 403
  • 100_1601.JPG
    100_1601.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 452

TnMountains said:
One of my little dug favorites.
Nice little flask . . . you could hide that one in your pocket, and no one would know!

Here's another little pocket flask that I like. I saw this bottle with a bitters label once at a bottle show.

flaskteardrop.jpg

I like those little brown ones Harry. As a kid I used to dig out old wells for the bottles. I kept them all I can only imagine all the things I missed not having a metal detector. I may have one like you were looking for earlier. I think it was cut glass though. I will try to dig it out.
TnMtns

TnMountains said:
I like those little brown ones Harry. As a kid I used to dig out old wells for the bottles. I kept them all I can only imagine all the things I missed not having a metal detector. I may have one like you were looking for earlier. I think it was cut glass though. I will try to dig it out.
TnMtns

That would be great, TnMtns!

Cut glass is exactly what these little bottles appear to be; but, of course, they are (that is, mine are) mold-blown with the diamond cross-hatching. I wanted to believe that these are whiskey nips; but, after much consideration, I now believe them to be some sort of extract/medication, e.g. Jamaica ginger.

I'll be happy to see your example.

---------Harry Pristis

Heres a half-pint coffin flask that I found in a river. There's not really much to brag about this bottle, but it is the only coffin flask I've found with the "full measure" embossment.

flaskcoffinfullmeasure.jpg

Harry Pristis said:
Anyone here ever dig up flasks like these? I'm looking for variants.

DSC03718a.JPG
Got one of those small ones out of an old tree stump years ago. This one I'm showing here is 6 1/2" tall and has a closure that is a shot glass. Dates probably 1880...ish. Took some quick pics a few minutes ago.

Attachments

• DSC03719a.JPG
    DSC03719a.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 347
  • DSC03720a.JPG
    DSC03720a.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 360
  • DSC03721a.JPG
    DSC03721a.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 319

That is one sweet whiskey flask Road dog. I have not seen any like that.

Road Dog said:
Harry Pristis said:
Anyone here ever dig up flasks like these? I'm looking for variants.
Got one of those small ones out of an old tree stump years ago. This one I'm showing here is 6 1/2" tall and has a closure that is a shot glass. Dates probably 1880...ish. Took some quick pics a few minutes ago.
I agree with 'TnMtn' -- very interesting flask. I've not seen that shot-glass closure before, and that's the largest incised diamond crosshatch flask I've seen.

The crosshatch in this pint flask is formed by a raised bead, rather than by incised lines.

patternflasksb.jpg

Here are a couple of half-pint Jo-Jo flasks from the South Carolina Dispensary. These bottles date to the first half of the 1893-1907 history of that controversial institution. The palmetto tree logo eventually was replaced by a large SCD monogram.

The Dispensary was an attempted compromise with the prohibitionists of the time. It required the state to take over all aspects of liquor production and distribution. It resulted in violence and endless problems for the state until it was repealed.

flaskSCdispensaryjo-jo.jpgflasksSCdispensarypalm.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back