Club Hunt in Maine

M

mchamby

23 of our club members in Vermont drove to Wells Maine for a club hunt this week end. I could only take enough oxygen for 32 hours so I went up for one day and night. The weather was beautiful and it was so nice walking through the warm sand barefoot. These are my finds, oh it was a planted hunt with seven hundred dollars worth of coins and a diamond solitare ring.
One standing liberty 1927 quarter
two barber quarters. 1908 and 1912
one..one half penny 1936 Australia
3 Indian pennies...1903..1907...and an 1863 that is half again as thick as the others.(can anyone tell me why?)
two barber dimes..1904...1913
two mercury dimes..1940 and 1944
Two..5 cent pieces (Barbados) 1988 and 1999
three 10 cent pieces (Barbados) 2004 and 1983 and 2005
When it was time for me to leave I decided to hit York beach for 30 minutes, I only found 2 pennies. Then as I was headed out of town there was a elemantary school and I checked to see if it had wood chips around the play area it did so I hit it. The first thing I found was a very nice wide band silver ring marked .92 something (it is very ornate on the outside). Some kid must have gotten into mom Jewelry box. I also found a dollar coin, zipper pull, 5 pennies, 4 dimes, one quarter, one nickel and a small oval brass plate that has a pic of shark and says It's Alive.. Boston Museum of Science...Great white Shark. I all so found a stelleto high heel charm. The shoe is a nice green with a pink painted on ribbon and pink painted flowers, it looks brand new. On the bottom is marked China and KJL. All together I had a great time, I just wish we had beaches like that around here. HH
Mchamby :)

Upvote 0
Hey, mchanby. Sounded like you had a great day. I envy anyone who lives back East. I love that part of the world. The ring you found is probably marked .925, the demarcation for sterling silver. As for the fatty Indian Head, I believe, and please someone correct me if I'm wring, but I believe the guidlines for coinage back then was a little less stringent than today, and larger copper coins occassionally popped off the mint presses. Happy Hunting!

Sounds like a fun time to me. 8)
To answer your question about indian heads:
Indian Head cents minted between 1859 and 1864 were composed of 88 percent copper and 12 percent nickel. In subsequent years, the coins were struck from an alloy of 95 percent copper and 5 percent tin and zinc.
Thus, in order to keep a penny's worth of copper, they were minted a bit thicker. JMO

Hey M, great finds. Glad you were able to get out over there. Sounds like you are doing well. Keep up the spirit and good work...Lance

Hey Rob I hadn't thought of that but you are absolutely right.
mchamby

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back