28.1 KB · Views: 409
  • clip2.jpg
    clip2.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 413
  • clip.jpg
    clip.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 412
Nice finds ModernMiner,
You probably already know that the Crest badge is from the 92nd Engineer Battalion. The motto GLORIA AD CAPUT VENIRE, meaning, Glory in Achievement.

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Eng/92EngineerBattalion.htm

The Griffin signifies; valour and death defying bravery, vigilance.
That clip is very likely to have military connections.

Cheers, Mike

Attachments

• 92EngineerBnDUI.jpg
    92EngineerBnDUI.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 339
Upvote 0
Hi Crusader, they are quite different ;D
A Griffin is styled on the body of a lion, with head and wings of an eagle. The clip shows the feathered wings, as opposed to the webbed dragon wings.
Still, cool dragon

Cheers, Mike

Upvote 0
trikikiwi said:
A Griffin is styled on the body of a lion, with head and wings of an eagle. The clip shows the feathered wings, as opposed to the webbed dragon wings.
Still, cool dragon

Cheers, Mike

Looked again, your right its a Griffin. It was the stance which made me think of the Welsh flag. Very similar though.

I have plenty of Livery buttons with every combination of Griffin you could want. Makes me think this item is of a similar date - 1800ish??

Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
trikikiwi said:
Still, cool dragon

Cheers, Mike

Looked again, your right its a Griffin. It was the stance which made me think of the Welsh flag. Very similar though.

I have plenty of Livery buttons with every combination of Griffin you could want. Makes me think this item is of a similar date - 1800ish??

Thanks Guys.
I wonder what this clip was used on?
-MM-

Upvote 0
Just offering another of my "don't have a clue" guesses, but it looks like it could be a closure off some sort of leather/saddlebag. It could clip over the head of a rivet, or on one in a row of rivet or hooks to make it adjustable to the amount of storage needed.

Smitty

Upvote 0
IndianaSmith said:
Just offering another of my "don't have a clue" guesses, but it looks like it could be a closure off some sort of leather/saddlebag. It could clip over the head of a rivet, or on one in a row of rivet or hooks to make it adjustable to the amount of storage needed.

Smitty

Thanks Smitty.
Sounds reasonable to me.
-MM-

Upvote 0
I have dug a few o' those 'round here. I even have two that have a bit of black fabric attatched to them. The fabric appears to be a sort of canvas.I had 'em id'd at one time as a clothing clasp but can't recall exactly what for.
Mine were dug at a cabin foundation site that we know a Military officer lived at.

Upvote 0
Jim West Pa said:
I have dug a few o' those 'round here. I even have two that have a bit of black fabric attatched to them. The fabric appears to be a sort of canvas.I had 'em id'd at one time as a clothing clasp but can't recall exactly what for.
Mine were dug at a cabin foundation site that we know a Military officer lived at.

Thank you Jim.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back