Clearwater beach detecting

bullFL

Mar 2, 2005
Clearwater Beach Area FL
;D
Well got off work at MacDill AFB and made it home in record time!!! Tossed everything in the truck and off to Clearwater beach. I should have an extra 30 to 40 minutes to search with a minus tide YES!!! Oh drats the bridge to the beach is stuck in the up position. NO!!!!!!!!!!!! So much for the extra time to hunt. Oh well finally get there after driving to Belaire to cross the next bridge. The traffic really sucks now. Finally into the water I go first target less than 5 minutes must be a coin. WOW to my surprise 14K GOLD mans wedding band shining back at me, next target a pair of sunglasses. 2 1/2 hours later time to go home, I recovered a bunch of really corroded change $2.35 and a big silver hoop ear ring that says baby girl. Looking at the corroded change that is heavily encrusted I notice 2 dimes they have been in the water so long that the serated edge of the coin is gone. You could put your fingernail between the face and obverse of the coins.
On the drive home yes the bridge was still stuck in the up position. The dates on the dimes were 65 and 66. Don't know the dates on the quarters they are so encrusted.
Can't wait to get back into the water this weekend. Oh about the bridge they lost some type of safty lock pin it fell into the water and they had to send divers down to recover it. The pin only weighed 600 pounds, I'll bet that made a very large splash going in!!!!! :D

Upvote 0
Really neat. I am going to clearwater on the 12 and 13 June for vacation. Thinking about bringing the detector. By the way, how long from McDill to Clearwater Beach?

Bull what kind of detector are you using? Great Story. The Bridge Pin falling is par for the course down here. Im surprised it didnt fall on a container ship and sink it. I always love the one of the whole bridge tenders house down in Miami falling off the Bridge with the tender in it.Great finds. HH

Being in Tampa, I can relate to all of that tale! Traffic out to clearwater is awful at best! I haven't hunted clearwater beach in a while and from your post seems to be productive again! Congrats! HH omnicognic 8)

Excalibur 1000. Any Idea how lond it takes for the edge of the coins to deteroate? 3 of the quarters are the same way. They are alot thinner than a regular quarter and the edge around the coins are gone.

???

I removed all of the encrustation from the coins and guess what? All of the coins 3 quarters 2 dimes and 1 nickle and 2 pennies date between 1965 to 1967??? They were not all discovered in the same area this was spread out over probably 50 to 60 yards? I think allot of sand has moved out of the swim area, because as heavily hunted as Clearwater beach is those coins should have ended up in somebody's scoop a long time ago. All comments are welcome.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back