fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this token with 5 others as well as 11 Union and Confederate buttons Friday. They were all about 6 inches deep and enclosed in a plastic tub inside a cardboard box on my front porch! They were a Christmas present from my brother. I have identified all the buttons and most of the tokens and have been able to read some of the lettering on the token in question. Pictures are not the best and the token is in poor shape so I need some expert help in determining just what it is.
There is an eagle on the front with wings spread and something in its talons. On the back in the center is the number 5. Across the bottom starting about the 8 O'clock position and going to about the 4 O'clock position are the words "1st VA CAVALRY" Across the top is the sutler's name but I can't make all of it out I think it Says "L Goldheim".
So, can anyone tell me about my token

Attachments

• DSCN0816.jpg
    DSCN0816.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN0817.jpg
    DSCN0817.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Can you make out any of the letters on it it looks like an Eagle on the obverse

Upvote 0
it's not a civil war token, I'm pretty sure it's a war of 1812 button (minus the shank)

Upvote 0
BOOOM BABY There she is exposed and deposed

Upvote 0
Here are links to 5 cent L. Goldheim sutler tokens that sold at Stacks in 2013 as part of the Ford collection-

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-2HCC3

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-2HCCC

Thanks for the information. It took me a minute to figure out what the gaps around the edge were. They are tabs holding the token in a protective sleeve.
My brother found this one years ago and has the story about where and what that he is going to e-mail me. I will pass that on when I get it.

Upvote 0
Cool, yeah i thought same thing (his doesnt have those notches) then I looked a little closer

Whats a Sutler?

jewelerguy, cannonballguy gave a like you can quit bangin your head against that wall
Sheesh thats gotta hurt.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back