RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this where a picket was posted - the only problem being that I live in a late 1930s house. There was a picket posted there in 1862. No man (excluding Native Americans) was there before, or after until 1936.

DSC_0151.jpgDSC_0152.jpg

Here are a few reasons why I think it is Civil War period.

1. The patina is unlike any other brass artifact found, with the exception of my scabbard tip.

2. It was found no more than 25 feet from where I dug a scabbard tip, and no more than 15 feet from a bullet.

Here's why it might not be a Civil War period piece.

1. I have no idea about anything about brass toe plates.

2. This is a late 1930s house after all.

I'm not one to brag about having something, when I don't even know what it is. I'm here to learn after all!

It's identical to one I have from a CW camp in Virginia.

Upvote 0
Confirming what your various astute observations about your (brass) shoe-toe protector indicate... identical ones have been dug which are marked "Pat[ented] Nov. 29, 1859". So yes, your find is from the civil war era. See the photo below.

Attachments

• shoe-toe-protector_marked-Pat-Nov29-1859_toeprotector.jpg
    shoe-toe-protector_marked-Pat-Nov29-1859_toeprotector.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 55
Upvote 0
Tha Cannonballguy is correct in his observations I will concur with the findings.Though I dont know squat he does and I stand by his and Smokeys assesment lol Awesome find and the scabbard tip got a little honey hole going on

Upvote 0
I admit to only knowing enough about US CW relics to be dangerous, but to me this looks to be your standard brass work boot toe-tap. :icon_scratch:
I find a couple of these on almost every old homestead site I detect, although I've yet to find one with a patent date on the tip.

Now I'm going to have to look through dozens of my toe-taps searching for patent dates... thanks CannonballGuy. :laughing7:

Dave

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back