Civil war stuff. (Lots of pics)

A. Grignon

Oct 9, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT & Whites Beachhunter
Hunted a field in Wisconsin last week and came up with a couple goodies.
Eagle I button, civil war token (patriotic), civil war token (store card), 186? Indian head cent, misc. buckle pieces, and a silver spoon dated "5 Apr. 1836".
Cant find the hallmark anywhere and there is some speculation on whether the date is 36 or 96. So I figure find the silver hallmark and I will know the date.
No way a silver smith made stuff from 1836 to 1896 without changing his mark.

Attachments

• DSC01260.JPG
    DSC01260.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 542
  • DSC01261.JPG
    DSC01261.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 547
  • DSC01262.JPG
    DSC01262.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 537
  • DSC01263.JPG
    DSC01263.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 542
  • DSC01264.JPG
    DSC01264.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 532
  • DSC01265.JPG
    DSC01265.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 536
Upvote 0
Those are some terrific finds...It is amazing what will come out of what looks like a normal field...I take it you did a lot of research on that place or did you just get "lucky" ...lol HH and keep on finding those relics..

Excellent finds! That "I" button looks like it was gilded at one time. Anyhow, on your piece of silverware my first reaction was 1896. My second thought was that it could be either. As far as the date goes, it looks like it was added by an engraver, or perhaps personally done with an engraving tool by the owners of the silverware set. Do you have a house site there? If you didn't find any bullets, that is a distinct possibility. What is the iron junk like at the site. Is it civilian or just nails and horse or farming-related? Anyhow, someone will come along with a better idea about the silver hallmark than I have. You should post a clear close-up of the hallmark in the meantime.

Regards,

Buckleboy

wow thats extremely nice you got to have a good eye to see something like that, betcha theres alot more there, keep us posted ;D

hell yes thats whats its about brother! 8)

side note i have a spoon just like that no hall mark but a date as early as yours

A. Grignon,

Super finds and great photos. Keep them coming! Joe

That is some nice stuff AG---Great finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back