✅ SOLVED Civil war steamboat pieces

Tigerdude

Apr 2, 2016
South louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting a bayou edge where steamboat was burned and left behind. Anyone ID large pieces? The nails are hat I think are nails to hold down decking. They are hand made with a rosette head and square. E7AFBAFC-BB6D-4DDD-9492-C059D16C147E.jpg

Looks like they were on the end of a wooden shaft/pole to be used as an eye or loop. Maybe from a wagon?

Upvote 0
I have to agree with capsmith and Tony, these look like parts from a wagon tongue. :icon_scratch:

Dave

Attachments

• sfj_aat_tongue_length_06.jpg
    sfj_aat_tongue_length_06.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 54
Upvote 0
I’ll clean it up a bit and post a better pic. Don’t think this came at the tongue of a wagon. It’s a serious heavy piece of iron:

Upvote 0
It does have the "look" of a wagon tongue, but does appear to be of the extra large variety (if it is indeed one). Maybe it was applied in the same manner, but for something a little more robust.
20190428_081654.jpg

Upvote 0
Solved! I friend texted me that it’s a gudgeon, a piece of a rudder system. Here is a pic of one.45F77EAD-E0F2-4AEC-81DB-CE29CEFD8D6F.png makes sense we found two gudgeon plus the deck nails. Will be digging bigger holes to find the rest.

Upvote 0
I learn something new here every day. :laughing7:
Glad that you got an I.D.

Dave

Upvote 0
Tigerdude, Congrats on some nice CW finds of the steamboat rudder pieces. Have you weighed these pieces? Best of luck to you on your future searches of the area.

Upvote 0
No I haven’t weighed them. I have the shorter piece and my friend has the longer. It’s a solid piece of iron. Interestingly, we found them about a foot or two apart and oriented in same direction on their sides. They were dredged out many years ago when the bayou was cleared of obstructions.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back