Civil War site yields a few finds

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The rain loosened the hard as cement ground enough here in the West Va panhandle enough that one doesn't need a jackhammer to get down a few inches, so I tried a field I havent hunted in quite awhile. Pulled up a deep down 3 ringer and a 58 cal round ball. Started to dig every piece of iron i came across. About a foot deep the ground yielded a butt plate for a musket. Dug a few broken horseshoes and some other iron, the last is this curiosity that looks L shaped with a loop. My first guess was a broken horse bit but I'm thinking now some sort of blacksmith creation or piece of a picket pin. Both artillery and some cavalry occupied this piece of ground so lots of horses and mules.

Attachments

• CW1.jpg
    CW1.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Cw2.jpg
    Cw2.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 39
Upvote 14
The rain loosened the hard as cement ground enough here in the West Va panhandle enough that one doesn't need a jackhammer to get down a few inches, so I tried a field I havent hunted in quite awhile. Pulled up a deep down 3 ringer and a 58 cal round ball. Started to dig every piece of iron i came across. About a foot deep the ground yielded a butt plate for a musket. Dug a few broken horseshoes and some other iron, the last is this curiosity that looks L shaped with a loop. My first guess was a broken horse bit but I'm thinking now some sort of blacksmith creation or piece of a picket pin. Both artillery and some cavalry occupied this piece of ground so lots of horses and mules.
Nice!!! Congrats!!

glad you were able to get down to some targets after the rain, love the relics, wtg

Nice CW finds. Yes baked clay/dirt is no fun along with the roots and rocks we have to deal with.

I don't have a PHD, I got somethig better, a DD 214.

LIke that quote. My DD214 was followed by a paid education at an engineering college with a BS degree. My 3 years with the Army was a life changer for me. Before joining the Army at 19 I was going nowhere with my life. I learned quickly that listening to my NCO's instructions and guidance was essential to not only enjoying the Army but progressing up through the ranks.

Nice CW finds. Yes baked clay/dirt is no fun along with the roots and rocks we have to deal with.

I don't have a PHD, I got somethig better, a DD 214.

LIke that quote. My DD214 was followed by a paid education at an engineering college with a BS degree. My 3 years with the Army was a life changer for me. Before joining the Army at 19 I was going nowhere with my life. I learned quickly that listening to my NCO's instructions and guidance was essential to not only enjoying the Army but progressing up through the ranks.
I enlisted the week I graduated from HS 1971, best decision I ever made. God Bless and keep digging

Veery Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back