JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Earlier this week I was digging some nice Civil War relics in a site mixed with modern trash. I got very excited when I popped out what I thought was a nice button....the shape and color was good but when I began cleaning off the front I saw a modern looking "E" staring back. I'm really not sure if its a button at all, but I'm sure someone here will know. Thanks, JB

Attachments

• IMG_5073.PNG
    IMG_5073.PNG
    457 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_5075.PNG
    IMG_5075.PNG
    500.6 KB · Views: 163
Not a button. Dozens of these have been posted on T-net over the last decade or so. We've never figured them out.

I'm sure someone can find the link to the LONG thread that discusses the possibilities... It was 5 or 6 (?) years ago...

Upvote 0
Note the small pry mark on the edge. Many of the posted 'E disks' have the same mark on them. I've beat my brains out on researching these relics and never been able to prove anything about them.

Upvote 0
Note the small pry mark on the edge. Many of the posted 'E disks' have the same mark on them. I've beat my brains out on researching these relics and never been able to prove anything about them.
Yep Matt, I did notice the pry mark, I thought it was maybe just a dent. Thanks for the info.--JB

Upvote 0
Can you take an angled photo of the little nubbin in the center of the back?

Upvote 0
Can you take an angled photo of the little nubbin in the center of the back?
The little nubbin is part of the stamped "E", this photo also shows the pry mark mentioned earlier.

Attachments

• IMG_5092.PNG
    IMG_5092.PNG
    437.8 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 0
When all else fails, you could be like this buffoon and call it a Civil War Token Dug in Gettysburg!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 5.41.47 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 5.41.47 AM.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 163
Upvote 0
Here is a link to an older thread that contains links to other 'E' button related threads. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/392613-button-e-f-inscription-center.html

As I mentioned in 1 or 2 of the old threads, I'd like to see this one solved. It's one of the few items posted here over the years that we've never been able to crack.

If you read the old threads, you'll see that lots of hours were spent by some very solid researchers on this one and we have nothing definitive - NADA!

So... Here we go again!

Upvote 0
Great find JB, Congrats!

Also great commentary guys. My first thought was button, then when I saw the profile photo I thought cap that had been prized out of some kind of container. But if that's what it is the container couldn't have been glass, then what? Since other examples found also have the dent perhaps it's pour spout. Maybe a cuplet for measuring some kind of strong medication? Opiates perhaps?

Best wishes and good luck!

Upvote 0
DCMatt & creskol,

Can either of you comment on whether or not identical shaped pieces have ever been posted with other letters/characters?

Upvote 0
I think of this particular style, an E is all that I have seen. I have see other letters on dome shaped things that were finally identified as engine expansion/freeze plugs.

Upvote 0
I think of this particular style, an E is all that I have seen. I have see other letters on dome shaped things that were finally identified as engine expansion/freeze plugs.

I've looked at the freeze plug possibility before. IMO these are too small to be viable freeze plugs.

My best guess is it is related to some sort of maintenance on an early tractor or stationary engine.

But I'm only guessing. I have no proof. :dontknow:

Upvote 0
Come on guys ..y'all can get this ID'd .

Upvote 0
Come on guys ..y'all can get this ID'd .

Ok here's my 2 guesses .

1 A radiator cap part.

2 automobile/tractor thermostat part.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When all else fails, you could be like this buffoon and call it a Civil War Token Dug in Gettysburg!
Thats hillarious this buffoon I love it. Like all the error coins on feebay. There should be a prize for the person who Ids it

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back