Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was back today to a site that yielded a couple Civil War artifacts on Tuesday, an officer's New Yor militia button and a brass closure pin from an ammunition pouch.

Back this afternoon for an hour and a half I dug three other relics, a small brass rivet and carved roundball. Close by I followed a mixed mid-tone/high-tone signal on a target that I kept chasing deeper and deeper. Turned out to be over 9 inches down there and I have no idea what this is, much less if may be Civil War related.

Your help is appreciated.

IMG_6860.JPGIMG_6862.JPGIMG_6861.JPG

Being stamped brass with fold-over tabs, I am pretty sure that it is post war .. late 1800's .

Upvote 0
Thanks creskol! Think that answers the question. Just doesn't seem robust enough to be military.

Upvote 0
My first thought was 'Victorian tin type (portrait) mourning brooch'. Or maybe I've been doing this too long and I'm seeing things... Can we see a direct (not angled) pic of the front?

il_570xN.1433549842_n8vd.jpg

Upvote 0
Im thinking probably what DCMatt is thinking , may not be war related but could have been a soldiers girlfriends pic in that.

Upvote 0
Thanks Matt! I have included "face-on" pic of piece I dug yesterday and other true Civil War pieces that have a similar shape.
IMG_6866.JPGJWPjpeg.jpgCHW.jpgLadderbadge.jpg

Upvote 0
Not military, and with stamped brass earliest time frame CW ear to 1900.

Upvote 0
Thanks smokey! This piece likely held a photo and I think DCMatt and sawmill man have that in mind as well. Back tomorrow to search more of the area.

Upvote 0
I also agree the most likely insert would have been a photo. The other thing would be a souvenir photo of something important like a world's fair or such.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back