Civil War Records

trusty

Dec 18, 2007
Osceola County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Is it possible to obtain records of Civil war soldiers? I am researching my Great Grandfather's service (Battery I, 1st Michigan Artillery). I have been able to trace his unit's service, but the details are lacking. Family "lore" is that he was wounded in the Atlanta Campaign. I would like to find out more. Unfortunately, my Grandfather was born after the war & is no longer living. None of my relatives has any knowledge, or interest, in this.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Yes, it is possible to obtain civil war records of your ancestor. I do not have the address in front of me, but do a search on your computer for civil war records in the National Archives.

Good Luck,
Cavers5

trusty said:
Thanks cavers5,

You shoved me in the right direction!

For anyone else interested, start here: https://eservices.archives.gov/orde...rchives.gov&SWEFullRefresh=1&SWEFullRefresh=1

You have to register - free. The record I ordered was $25. Can't wait to get it in the mail. Sure hope he wasn't a horse thief, or something. Must have been a great guy, look at how his Great Grand Son turned out!!

Hope you find some good information. I have the records of my great great grandfather. He joined the Union Army at age 30 in Indiana. At some point he was diagnosed with "piles" (hemorrhoids) and he spent most of the war as a nurse. Not a very glamorous story...

DCMatt

Your welcome. Please post some more of the family history later on. All family histories have great stories!

Cavers5

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back