creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this the other day. It looks like a civil war staff button but the shape seems to be militia. The back has rusted away. IMG_20180605_164008058_LL_crop_335x340.jpgIMG_20180605_164038340_LL_crop_304x395.jpgAny thoughts?

How many stars are there in the shield and around the edge? And, which talon is the eagle holding the arrows in? Are there 3 or 4 arrows? It looks to me like a General staff but there are a few varieties.

Upvote 0
I found one just like it I thought it was a General Staff Button.

Upvote 0
It is either an Indian War period button or a reproduction.

Upvote 0
It is either an Indian War period button or a reproduction.
Interesting! Where would I look to find out more? Is there info in the internet? Whatever this is,it's been in the ground quite a while.

Upvote 0
Interesting! Where would I look to find out more? Is there info in the internet? Whatever this is,it's been in the ground quite a while.

The back of your button is rusted away .. or on the way to rusting away, which indicates that it is a tin backed button. Prior to the Indian War, all of them had a brass back and most carried a backmark.

Here is a educational site to visit.

This first link shows pre war thru the Civil War general staff buttons: Pre War ? Civil War Button Gallery | General Staff Buttons

This second link shows post war, Indian War & simulated: Post War Button Gallery | General Staff Buttons

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The back of your button is rusted away .. or on the way to rusting away, which indicates that it is a tin backed button. Prior to the Indian War, all of them had a brass back and most carried a backmark.

Here is a educational site to visit.

This first link shows pre war thru the Civil War general staff buttons: Pre War ? Civil War Button Gallery | General Staff Buttons

This second link shows post war, Indian War & simulated: Post War Button Gallery | General Staff Buttons
It looks exactly like the tin back button Indian war 4r24s-2p. Thanks a lot!! Any idea on age?

Upvote 0
Great looking button. Congrat's to you on one great find.

Upvote 0
MUFFUN TOP TIN BACK BUTTON post civil war --indain war era say 1865 thru 1885 era most likely

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back