Civil War or Earler 13 Star Shield Breast Plate??

spudnutt

Oct 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was wondering if anyone could help with something I recently picked up. It's coming straight out of a museum deacquisition and came with a group of 1820s-1840s Militia items.

The shield measures 5 1/2" x 4 3/8". It has some weight to it and appears to have had some sort of attachment on the back bottom areas. I thought it could possibly be a breast plate or some sort of baldrick plate. Has anyone seen anything like it before? It's too heavy for a shako as it weighs just about 9oz.

Any help is appreciated!

IMG_0778Medium_zps02c9495b.jpg

IMG_0779Medium_zpsc7445bd2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0778Medium_zps02c9495b.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 453
Believe it may be a Patriotic related... Representing the 13 Confederate states or the 13 colonies.. Im sure others on here will chip in.. Neat find..

Upvote 0
Believe it may be a Patriotic related... Representing the 13 Confederate states or the 13 colonies.. Im sure others on here will chip in.. Neat find..
We would have had 13 Confederate states if those dogs in Kentucky and Maryland would have joined us.

Upvote 0
In character, it looks quite similar to this WWII Navy device.

Attachments

• navy.jpg
    navy.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 119
Upvote 0
Was wondering if anyone could help with something I recently picked up. It's coming straight out of a museum deacquisition and came with a group of 1820s-1840s Militia items.

The shield measures 5 1/2" x 4 3/8". It has some weight to it and appears to have had some sort of attachment on the back bottom areas. I thought it could possibly be a breast plate or some sort of baldrick plate. Has anyone seen anything like it before? It's too heavy for a shako as it weighs just about 9oz.

Any help is appreciated!

IMG_0779Medium_zpsc7445bd2.jpg

-
Did you actually get confirmation somewhere that this is really what you say it is? Just curious??

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-14 at 4.35.25 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-12-14 at 4.35.25 PM.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 137
Upvote 0
Pardon my butting in But It drives me crazy when people post stuff and Never say where they are from or where they found it I don't need to know " I found it on the corner of 5 and main " but when someone gives a general idea " found it in the tunnel hill area of GA " makes any type of historical finding and verification a lot easier ---------- A member posted a picture of a CW button thought it might be from TX Never said where he found it , after some questioning he said on the AL border with MS Well MEMBERS FOUND OUT FROM JUST THAT LITTLE INFO THAT 2 TX units were documented as following that path on the way to reinforce troops in TN ---------- Makes it a lot easier

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back