Civil War near Pittsburgh Pa. ?

mark v

Mar 10, 2006
S.W. Pa.
Detector(s) used
Deus, CTX
Hi
Does anyone know if there was any war activity during the Civil War around Pittsburgh Pennsylvania?
I found an old stone wall, overlooking 2 hollows and the Allegheny river. I was told it was an old Civil war lookout point but I didn't think there was anything like that happening around here during that time. It's a very neat place. Old and obviously built strategically by people who put a lot of time and effort into it.
I will take pictures of it and post the pictures after the next time I am there.
Thanks.

Upvote 0
mark v., I was born in Pittsburgh but don't remember much. Would like to see pics.

There's a place in Lawrenceville, Pittsburgh p.a. I live in Pittsburgh. It called arsenal middle school now. Back in the civil war days they made and distributed civil war bullets.

The place was right were the school now stands on 40th st. Before my detecting time because I am only gonna be 25 here in a few weeks. Guys used to find a ton of dropped large 3 ringer bullets and old buttons from the guards who used to patrol the perimeter of the buildings.

Nice old park down in that area also right behind the school.

HH Jer

I also grew up in Pittsburgh and I've heard all about Arsenal school. I didn't know if detecting was allowed there though.

I've been trying to post pictures of the site I found. I can't figure out how to post them. Everything seems to go well but the pictures never appear.

I'll try again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back