✅ SOLVED Civil War Lock or....

DigDug216

Feb 22, 2016
Statesville, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (May2015) and Equinox 800 (March2019)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this lock inside the area of the old civil war prison in Salisbury, NC. It's a residential neighborhood now. Not sure if it's from the same time period but would love to learn more about it. Can anyone lock this one down for me?=) 20190408_093859.jpg20190408_094125.jpg20190408_094051.jpg20190408_094110.jpg
20190408_093932.jpg

I love finding old locks and that one looks to be in great shape. Someone will ID it soon I’m sure. Nice find. Congrats

Upvote 0
I love finding old locks and that one looks to be in great shape. Someone will ID it soon I’m sure. Nice find. Congrats

Thank you. The lock and a small silver ring were the highlights of my finds from this past Saturday's hunt. I'm hoping someone can give me info on this lock. It has the criss cross pattern with little bumps as the pattern on it. Its not my first lock but its my first awesome lock! lol

Upvote 0
I'm not expert on these, but I think its post-CW, late 19th C probably. Cool find complete!

Upvote 0
it's in the 1895 Montgomery Ward catalouge

Upvote 0
Post war of not, you still found a great looking old lock. Well Done and Congrats to you.

Upvote 0
Nice lock! Great weathered look to it.
And the great thing is.... it's probably more secure than the several junk padlocks sold today by Master Lock & Brinks. :key:
The former you can open with a chicken bone and/or pull tab from a can of tuna, and the latter you can just jam a stick into it and turn.
Sometimes you don't even need to turn. (I'm not making this up. Unlike your find.. Pure JUNK!)

Upvote 0
Very nice old lock, those are fun to find! :occasion14:

Upvote 0
I feel compelled to back up the earlier statement that some newer padlocks are complete junk and should be avoided.

Link 1:

Link 2:

Link 3:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back