lrgcent

Sep 8, 2010
Tioga County, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites Prizm IV, Pistol Probe Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever found a complete one? lead bar.jpg

This is a Lead Solder bar for soldering pipe and drain joints.
I would say after CW 1870's through 1950's THis piece 1870's to 1900

Upvote 0
I haven't verified this info., but it seems the comany's timeline is just before the civil war up to 1875: Lead Ingot - Odyssey's Virtual Museum
It mentions ammo being ordered from this company, but not bars, which of course doesn't mean they weren't used, just no record of being ordered for that purpose.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I spoke to soon. I saw a lawsuit filed between Mc Cullough and another party and it seemed to state that prior to 1869 Mc Cullough was the New YORK LEAD CO.

and I did not see any adds for Mc Cullough prior to 1865. But this Odyssey bulletin does confirm that Mc Cullough was providing for the CW effort

Upvote 0
Same here, found cut up pieces in a 1830's riverside camp where musket and pistol balls were being cast. Not sure on the manufacturer of mine. Cool to see a whole one.

Steve

Upvote 0
Same here, found cut up pieces in a 1830's riverside camp where musket and pistol balls were being cast. Not sure on the manufacturer of mine. Cool to see a whole one.

Steve

What can you read off yours. Perhaps I can tell you the rest since I found complete ones and from the same time era and style of camp(river).

Upvote 0
I'll have to dig them out when I get a chance. Thanks.

Steve

Upvote 0
Here are some Revolutionary War 50/50 tin/lead solder bars. ;-)

silver50502.jpg

I don't believe that by the Civil War the average soldier had anything to do with casting lead. The Minie Ball requires a pretty large three-piece mold. The paper cartridges were made up at factories or as cottage industry and shipped to the lines.

Upvote 0
America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

By God Guns and Guts

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The New York Lead Company was founded in 1850 by Lewis Colwell. At some point he appears to have sold out or pulled in a different partner and the name was changed to McCullough’s Shot and Lead Company. They are mentioned as having built a new tower in 1855
F60E8B96-EBD3-40FB-A08B-5D27CB576655.jpeg

They went bankrupt in 1875. The company name returned to Colwell Lead Company.
That's the best I can figure out by googling.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There is still a shot tower in upper Manhattan, I don't know if it is this one, it has a different top on it. These towers were for making shotgun size shot by pouring it from a great height into water.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back