Civil War Finds + Button Help

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all!

Got down to a Civil War site finally and I came up with my first seated ever. It turned out to be a beautiful half dime!

hd1.jpghd2.jpg

Also found a copper wedding ring marked "18". I assume it was 18k gold-gilted, with 99% of the gilt rubbed off. Still cool, though.

ring2.jpg

I found some small bullets/fragments and was told they were probably CW pistol bullets because the butt ends weren't neatly cut like modern ones would be. Also this buckle, which could be a colonial knee buckle due to the slight curvature, but if any of you recognize it as something else please let me know.

cw.jpg

Finally I found this very pretty, heavily gold-gilted button. Can anyone help with it? The back reads "Extra Rich" and something that might say "& SON". Hard to tell.

golt-gilt-button1.jpggold-gilt-button2.jpg

Thanks in advance for the help, and HH!

Upvote 17
Nice finds. Havent found a seated in awhile. Buckle is mid/late 18th century but hard to say exactly what it was used for. Shoe, Knee or hat most likely

CONGRATZ on ur seated!!!!! Still lookin for my first HD.....

Congrats to the first of MANY hopefully. The half dime is my favorite to find at Civil War camps.

I think your button is a civilian fashion one and the backmark reads "Robinson/ Extra Rich". I would date it to the 1840s. The Robinson company lost most of their civilian trade in the 1840s and were bankrupt by the middle of the century.

That is a really beautiful half dime, congrats!

Nice finds! I would go with Knee Buckle and I agree with 1840s two piece gilt civilian button.

Great hunt congrats on your seated now they will be everywhere since you got your first. Nice relics also looks like a good day glad to see it. Tommy

The copper ring was gold plated, but there are a couple of reason's why it had that 'fake' marking. To fool someone into paying a solid 18K gold price, or they knew & swapped it out with their real ring. Men going off to war would leave the valueable ring with the Wife, so that if he died, she could sell it. This replacement copper one would be taken to War.

The copper ring was gold plated, but there are a couple of reason's why it had that 'fake' marking. To fool someone into paying a solid 18K gold price, or they knew & swapped it out with their real ring. Men going off to war would leave the valueable ring with the Wife, so that if he died, she could sell it. This replacement copper one would be taken to War.

Never knew that, thanks for the info!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back