Civil War Era Naval Button?

ripvanb

May 7, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 & Tesoro Compadre 8"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this two piece Naval button and was wondering if anyone could better ID it? I know that the navy used this design through WWII and that the way the eagle is facing is important for dating. The eagle is facing its left. The backmark says "Superior Quality". I have a feeling its post CW.

PS: What's a good way to clean the button? Would water and a cotton swab work? I want to bring out the gold.

IMG_4413 (2).JPG IMG_4412 (2).JPG
IMG_4411 (2).JPG IMG_4410 (2).JPG

Nice button. I would use lemon juice and a cotton swab. Soak for awhile then remove and swab. Repeat until you have the button looking good.

Upvote 0
I have seen examples of that backmark (or as close as these old eyes can tell) in Tice's book. He says 1860. But maybe others can give you better info.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The anchor fluke in front of the wing, or behind it, is a key to identification but I don't remember . I have a lot of old posts on civil war era navy eagle buttons here but they wont come up in my search. The rounded wings are also a clue.

Anchor flute tucked under wing button Navy_Front[1].jpganchor flute tucked under wing 1860.jpg

Upvote 0
Because the US Navy used that exact same design on its uniform buttons from 1852 until 1941, the most important time-dating clue about your button is the presence of "plain block" lettering for its backmark. ALL plain-block "Superior Quality" backmarks are from after the end of the civil war. That is why no plain-block lettering "Quality" backmarks are shown as being from the civil war era in the book "American Military Button makers And Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates" by Wiliam F. McGuinn & Bruce S. Bazelon.

The earliest example of your button's plain-block "Superior Quality" backmark I know of is from about 1890, plus or minus a few years.

Upvote 0
Great relic sounds like some good info on it also Well done

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info! I’m going to try and clean it up better.

Upvote 0
here is a few photos after a little clean up. Sadly the back doesn't look much better.

IMG_E4455.JPG IMG_4458.JPG

Upvote 0
Sweet find - Congrats!:hello2:

Upvote 0
Great button, CBG is the man!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back