Civil War Era ? ....Just Maybe?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rivet 3.jpgrivet.jpg

I dug this piece of 'Strap'?? In the same area as some Minnie's (3 ringers ) & some Carbine types.

I noticed the Rivets look like or almost just like other Rivets I have dug in a CW Camp & other CW areas.

I know that's A-lot of Leather , this piece was only about 2-3 inches under ground right beside a large Long Leaf Pine Tree & think it could have been brought up from deeper by the ever growing /expanding trunk.

Just wondering if anybody can put a Time Period on the rivet type Or the piece it's self.
Also dug 2 GS buttons close by.

Thanks for any Help.
Davers:thumbsup:

They look right to me compared to the ones on this scabbarduploadfromtaptalk1455223408595.jpg nice find
Yours are probably from a horse harness and would be tough to date
HH, Relic Nut

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think they had
bic lighters in the civil war era!
Haha just joking! [emoji2]

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply's Guys . ''
Even you K1DD01979.

Forgot to mention found both parts of a Civilian type Spur at this site as well , look's like it used to be a Road or Path through the area Long ago , only about 50 or so Yards of it left now.

I should have got the wife to take a side shot ,it's pretty thick & looking at it just now , seems it was 4 pieces of Leather riveted & sewn together with 2 thinner pieces being on the outside with 2 much thicker pieces inside.

I know this one a tough Call..

TMI Likely but thanks Again.
Davers

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply's Guys . ''
Even you K1DD01979.

Forgot to mention found both parts of a Civilian type Spur at this site as well , look's like it used to be a Road or Path through the area Long ago , only about 50 or so Yards of it left now.

I should have got the wife to take a side shot ,it's pretty thick & looking at it just now , seems it was 4 pieces of Leather riveted & sewn together with 2 thinner pieces being on the outside with 2 much thicker pieces inside.

I know this one a tough Call..

TMI Likely but thanks Again.
Davers

Haha
Sorry I just couldn't resist! [emoji2]

Upvote 0
Hey Davers, When I find things like this that were made during and after the CW and were found at a place that I have found known relics, I display as shetch. Chances are its period so I don't worry about the correct police. But that's just me.

HH, Relic Nut

Upvote 0
Amazing how people can identify things like that Nice finds

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hey Davers, When I find things like this that were made during and after the CW and were found at a place that I have found known relics, I display as shetch. Chances are its period so I don't worry about the correct police. But that's just me.

HH, Relic Nut

Yeah Man that's basically the way I look at it as well.
When you did enough of this type of rivet & you know yr area & how diff, sites were used over time & the way local ground action , makes things look -Over time.

(It's kinda like a bank Teller & money , You See & handle the real thing Questionable pieces stick out like a sore thumb & Mentally makes that 'Bill" or Relic Suspect.)

Being where this was found , I feel it was CW period, ..Tho I will never say 100% yes

Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
''Just wondering if anybody can put a Time Period on the rivet type Or the piece it's self''

In answer to your question, yes but the time span is huge & only includes the CW period & not just covering it. So you decide.

Upvote 0
''Just wondering if anybody can put a Time Period on the rivet type Or the piece it's self''

In answer to your question, yes but the time span is huge & only includes the CW period & not just covering it. So you decide.

Answered my own Question.. Good Catch.

Ill decide 90% A cw era Piece 1864 + 3 or 4 years.

I dug many more CW pieces there yesterday (same site) ..Old roadbed, Only 1980-2015 trash in the area, A stones throw from Period RR tracks.

I will display this piece with the others from this site, & always ask for an opinion when showing it to my peers.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back