✅ SOLVED Civil War Era casing?

derekbeals

Greenie
Sep 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pictures describe better than me. Tried to get all dimensions needed to help me solve this mystery. Found at a known civil war site. Google isn't supplying me any info on a "DM45" casing. That's what it looks like to me anyway. Also surprised that inside the casing there was still gun powder. Tried to date the powder due to the cylindrical shape, I'm thinking google was saying that shape was "middle ages" black powder?

Thanks...

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    696.2 KB · Views: 104
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    419.2 KB · Views: 81
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    611.9 KB · Views: 91
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 92
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 85
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 88
I recently discovered this as well. Thanks for the info. But neither the 30 cal nor 50 cal seem to match these find. Thoughts?

Upvote 0
The powder granules are definitely smokeless powder. The cartridge was manufactured in 1945. Because the end is so messed up, I have no idea of what caliber the cartridge is, but the odds are it's 30-06.

Upvote 0
Sounds about right due to it's size
The powder granules are definitely smokeless powder. The cartridge was manufactured in 1945. Because the end is so messed up, I have no idea of what caliber the cartridge is, but the odds are it's 30-06.

Upvote 0
That's cool nsdq, I grew up in Ankeny Iowa from 1966 to 1975. Me and my friends would ride our bike's out to the old area of the ordnance plant. Most of the area was overtaken by a John Deere factory, but we'd go explore these concrete shacks scattered about in a vacant field that I would guess were ammo mags and we even made a clubhouse out of one. On one occasion one of my friends who couldn't get along with his stepdad ran away and hid out in our club house for two nights. My mother was called on this and she and my buddies mother interrogated me on what I knew of this runaway friend. I never cracked on what I knew and looking back on this my friends mother was really shook up at me as she knew I had info I wasn't choking up. My friend spent two nights out there, before he decided to return. I believe I owe my mother an apology over this deal, because she asked if I was telling the truth and I said YES! mom, I wouldn't lie to ya. I did lie and the truth of what I knew was never disclosed on that issue. I even took some can goods from our pantry to supply my buddy. One of my friends found a bronze open end wrench on one visit to the place and his mother knew what it was as she worked at the ordnance plant during ww2 when she was maybe in her early twenties. She said the tools they used had to be non sparking and made of bronze. It was a neat looking wrench I recall.

Upvote 0
Yeah I would agree 30-06:

See it is difficult with part of the neck missing and being crushed. The circumference of the bullet size doesn't change, but the shell case can and the bullet weight can change too. The bullet weigh is increased or decreased by making the bullet longer or shorter, the shell case can also hold more powder and as you see be much larger in circumference than the bullet but the shell casing must be neck down to fit the bullet. That's why it is difficultt to tell exactly what you have using measurements.

Here's some of my junk shells for comparing the difference between 30-06 and 50 Cal.That's a .22 LR facing horizontally below the .06 and .50 shell casings:

CAM00340.jpg

CAM00342.jpg

CAM00345.jpg

Upvote 0
The Des Moines Ordnance Plant (DMOP) operated during World War II and produced nearly four billion .30 and .50 caliber bullets from January 1942 through July 1945. The Des Monies Ordnance Plant was located near the small, rural Iowa community of Ankeny, which was located approximately 8 miles north of Des Moines, the state's capital and most populated city. Beginning with United States involvement with the Allied countries in 1940 with the Lend Lease Act, this thesis details the activities that occurred from conception to reconversion of the plat to civilian use in 1947. The United States industrial complex prepared for a war footing in the United States and increased ordnance production was necessitated by this action. The Des Moines Ordnance Plant was one of twelve throughout the Midwest that were converted to ordnance production or newly constructed for the same purpose -- Numerous industrial home front issues are encountered during the life of the plant such as; growth of federal authority, Industrial and community infrastructure needs, government land acquisitions, civilian displacement, the effect of a large industrial complex in rural United States, labor issues involving both the construction and production process, material attainment and finally reconversion of the facility following the war. Imbedded in these discussions is the impact that the newly constructed ordnance plant, which at its peak employed nearly 19,000 people, had upon the predominantly rural setting in and around Ankeny, Iowa.

Upvote 0
note -----center fire primers * are post civil war * --civil war type cartridge bullets for the most part are rim fire like a modern 22 is ...

Upvote 0
It was narrowed down to 1945 or latter, 30-06 Ivan.

Upvote 0
just letting you know for general info for future finds ...centerfire type rounds are post civil war ..that's all ...civil war cartridges are rare and tend to be "rim fire" strike type ..like the dual hit henry 44 cal rifle round ..

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back